Sirius the Dragno and "The Face that Could Sink a Thousand Ships"

Flynn the giant was a master builder. He could construct anything from a towers to whole castles. The only problem came if he ever had to cross the ocean to reach people who wish to hire his services. If there was anything he hated most, it was getting his feet wet. So, he decided to build a walkway from one island to another.

The master builder draw up the plans for his masterpiece and began to assemble it. It was a perfect day to do such a project. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. All of nature was at peace, expect for Sirius the dragon. Sirius had noticed Flynn working outside all by himself and decided to keep him company. “Hey, there, ogre.” He greeted the giant. The well-intended greeting was so loud that Flynn almost suffer a stroke. Flynn’s eye began twitch as he watched Sirius approach. Sirius, it had to be known, was Flynn’s least favorite of local dragons.

Flynn raised himself to his full height and corrected Sirius. “I’m not an ogre. I’m a giant. There’s a difference, you know. Now, I‘m am working…so, get lost!” He finished rudely, turning his back to Sirius as he resumed his work. “Whatever you say, ogre.” Sirius said shrugging. “What are ya doing there?” Flynn didn’t answered this time. He was struggling mightily to resist the urge to chock Sirius. “Can I help?” the dragon asked, now toying with some of Flynn’s tools. “Is it a birdhouse? I hope it’s not a birdhouse there’s too many of those darn things around here. You can’t spit without hitting a birdhouse. And what are they good for? Birds are annoying anyway, sometimes I could just chuck a brick at one while they tweet-tweet-tweet and clirk-clirk-clirk.”

Both of Flynn’s eyes were twitching at this point. How was he gonna get his bridge done Sirius turning his patience at every turn. “Sirius, don’t you have something better to do then hang around here?” the giant questioned. “No way, man” Sirius said giving him a light punch. “What’s better than helping my favorite ogre out? Now why don’t you go put on your monkey suit and let me handle all the handyman stuff.” Surprisingly, for Flynn, the offering was tempting. It was true that he had been working hard lately.

“Okay, you’ve got yourself a deal.” Flynn said. He shook Sirius’ claw. He then went inside his castle to tell his wife, Daffodil the Cyclops, to keep watch over the dragon. “Darling, are you sure about this?” She queried, peeking out Sirius through the window. “Every time you get involved with him something unlucky happens.”

“I know, honey,” Flynn said, kissing her on the cheek. “But that dumb dragon will do almost all the work while I can have a day off for a change. Just can keep an eye on him, no pun intended.” Daffodil sighed at silliness of her husband, but still wasn‘t convinced that the dragon would be the best replacement choice. It was true, though, that her husband had been working hard and deserved some time off.

Flynn retired to his room for a quick nap, while Daffodil sat in the living room where she could see Sirius from the window. She had just open a fashion magazine when Sirius made his first appearance in the home. “Hey, little ogre mama,’ He said standing over her. “Mind if I get some grab from your fridge? I’m so starved I could eat a horse.” Daffodil narrowed her eye at him. “Go right ahead and I‘m not an ogre.” She said, rolling her eye. “Oh, I’m sorry for calling you that, ma’am. You’re not an ogre,” Sirius said digging through the fridge. “You’re a ogress because you’re a woman…at least I think so. It‘s hard to tell with peach fuzz on your face, you should really think about shaving regularly.”

Daffodil slammed her magazine on the coffee table.
“Sirius, suga, don’t you think you should be getting back to work?” She suggested grinding her teeth and shoving Sirius back outside, food still hanging in his mouth. The cyclops then stretched on the couch and soon fell asleep. Meanwhile, Sirius had grown tired of building the bridge. He returned to the castle and finally found the giant sleeping in his bedroom.

“Flynn,” He said shaking him. Flynn rolled out of bed. “What?” the giant said with red eyes. “Did you know that you cut the cheese in your sleep? It’s really loud. I can hear it and smell it all the way from outside.” Flynn responded by yanking Sirius by the neck, as if he were a tiny kitten, and threw him out the door.

Just as he had curled back up in bed and drifted off to sleep, Sirius was there again, staring him in the face. “How in the name of the Blue Seas did you get back in here!?” Flynn yelled, his eyes twitching again. “I came in through the dog’s door.” Sirius replied. Flynn rubbed his temples and snapped, “We don’t have a dog!” Sirius wobbled his eyebrows at Flynn. “I know that, ogre. It’s more of a ‘dragon door’ and I installed one in every room of the house.” The dragon said proudly. Flynn launched himself out of bed; Sirius was not acting according to the giant’s plan.

The titian exited his bedroom and looked in wonder around him. His fortress was c completely redecorated! New furniture in funky shapes like, abstract art. The walls and floors painted wacky circus colors. Portraits of dead rock stars were hung on every wall. Even Daffodil had a new, odd look. Her hair was done in a beehive-style fashion and she wore go-go boots on her massive feet with eye shadow and make-up painted on her face. “Honey, before you say anything,” She said in I-told-you-so tone. “Just remember that it was your idea to hire him.” Flynn’s eye were twitching to the point that Daffodil feared they might pop out of his head.

“Do you like it, ogre?” Sirius grinned. “The carpet on the ceiling was a personal touch, but I say that the moat was my best work.” Even Sirius notice Flynn’s face go pale at the mention of the word moat. “Come on man, don’t give me that goose look. Tell me what you think!” Sirius began to pinch Flynn’s cheek so some color would show. “What I think!?” Flynn exploded. “I’m gonna squish you’re melon head until your eyes pop out like ooze from a sore that‘s what I think I‘m gonna do!”
“Violence!” Sirius observed to Daffodil as she physically held her husband back. “Is this who you want to rise your little mutant babies with?” Flynn was able to soothe his rage by his wife’s cooing, but Sirius was on thin ice. Flynn snatched up the dragon and tied him to a nearby tree that had been left on the house-side of the moat, like a naughty puppy. “Now, dragon, you are stay here until you finish that bridge you promised!” Flynn commanded. The giant returned to his transform castle. He flopped down on the couch to watch a T.V. show about mermaids singing and playing with dolphins. Then something strange happen, considering the day’s already strange events, happen. Sirius appear on the television screen. He made a tsk-tsk sound and wagged a taloned finger. “Shame on you, man.” the scaly reptile said. “I’m going to tell you’re old lady about this!”

Flynn’s face again took on the hue of water lily white as he flipped through the channels, and Sirius was on every single one. He finally heaved it out a window and read one of his favorite books. But the dragon’s face was on every single page. “How does he do that!” Flynn moaned and slammed the novel shut. He glance at a mirror, hoping to see himself gazing back, a big, solid giant who could take on anything…but instead Sirius’ face staring out him with puppy dog eyes. Sirius’ voice spoke, “Oh, Flynn, you really let yourself go, you should lay off those chili dogs.” Sweat flooded down the giant’s neck. “No, no, no!” He wailed. “How does he do that!? How does he do that!?”

His wife heard his screams and came running. “What’s wrong?” She attempted to comfort him, but he pulled away yelled some nonsense about Sirius being on everywhere he looked. Daffodil stuck her head outside. The dragon was busily working on the bridge. “He’s outside, suga. Maybe you should get some rest.” Flynn grew impossibly whiter. “I’m telling you, woman, he was just in the hall mirror! Look for yourself!”

Daffodil looked in the mirror, but she only saw her own reflection before the whole thing broke into pieces at the sight of her new hairstyle. Flynn was beside himself with fury and confusion. “Here,” He said giving her the book. “He’s in my book!” Daffodil flipped calmly through the pages. “Honey, these pages are all blank.” “But he was there!” Flynn insisted in his own defense. “And he was on the television , too!”

The cyclops gave her husband a puzzled looked. “And where is the television.?” Flynn’s features had shifted from a milk-white color to total absence of color. “It’s outside.” Daffodil put her hands on hips and sighed, “Well, what’s it doing out there?” She was seriously doubting her husband sanity, but when he explained that he threw the television out a window, she knew her man had indeed lost all the marbles in his bag. “Okay, baby,” She said hushing his continued sill talk. “It’s gonna be just fine. We’re gonna get you some serious help.” She slipped her cell phone out of her pocket and dialed 9-1-1, then held a whispered conversation with someone. Within the hour, men in white coats arrived and manage to fit Flynn the giant in a straight jacket, which was the process that involved another hour and much kicking and screaming.

Sirius watched as they loaded Flynn into a truck for delivery to the nutty hut. The dragon waved warmly at the retreating giant’s face. Sirius mentally patted himself on the back. Who knew the spell he had cast would be so successful.
“Good-bye, Flynn.” He called. Daffodil, still shaking her head in wonder, freed Sirius from his chains and scratching him behind the ears. “Don’t worry, man! I’ll take good care of your house, your fridge, and your woman.”

-Missy- said...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 10:37 am:
Good story! You make really good kid stories!

mudpuppy replied...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 11:04 am :
Thank you!

mudpuppy said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 7:33 am:
There's a mistake in the title. Please tell me what you thank. I want your honest thoughts on this piece.

monalisa1 replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:46 pm :
Love it ! It was absoultely love it keep up the good work!

mudpuppy replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 5:03 pm :
Thanks you so much! :)