My Realities | Teen Ink

My Realities

June 23, 2010
By Miara GOLD, Ottumwa, Iowa
Miara GOLD, Ottumwa, Iowa
16 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
Dying is a day worth living for.
The problem with being the last of anything is by and by there be none left.


I hope I am never like them. Useless idiots. They never seem to be doing anything, but that doesn't fool me. Their state of mind is contagious. Just yesterday I saw two more join them. The government can't get rid of them. These people walk around laughing at everything. They find idiocy hilarious.
BRRRRRRRRRRING!!! She was going to be late again. She shut her tablet, and then Ika rushed out the door.
On her way to her next class she passed him. He was popular and good looking, but she didn't even notice him. He noticed her, every time they passed in the hallway or lunch room. His eyes were practically glued on her anytime he could see her.
Ika didn't notice much of the social ranking system of her world. She knew she was regarded as an outcast, but nothing beyond that. Her stories kept her sane.
Ika entered her next class and took her seat. She pulled out her tablet and continued writing. Whilst ignoring all the gossip and talk.
They followed you around anytime you left your complex. They laughed at you, no matter what you did. They had messed-up lives. That's why they became like that. They are trying to provide themselves something to live for.
My life is perfect next to theirs, but I'm the one in pain. I know the truth. I know what they are missing. I just have no way to tell them that. I watch them out my window, they are laughing again. For me to join them would be horrible. I could never laugh that much.
My entire life I’ve spent up here, where all I see is the tops of their heads. Some kids’ parents take them outside to see the Useless Ones. Mine weren’t that type of parents. We shared a complex with my whole family clan. My best friend and cousin, Arthas, loves bugging me. I don’t mind too much.
I dread the day a mate is found for me. In this society, every woman’s husband is found for her. Once my mate is found, I’ll never return to this complex. Such is the life here. My sister has already left. My brother became a great scholar. I’m stuck here with Arthas until he thinks he has found a potential mate for me. Then the clan leaders will meet with this potential mate. If they like him, I meet him, and he helps me pack. If they don’t like him, I stay here a little longer.
I have tried to change this. I’ve convinced Arthas to let me meet each one he finds before he takes the young man to the clan leaders. I have met thirty-two so far, none have made it. I suspect they may choose the next one just because I’m nearing the age where women don’t get picked anymore, 20.
Arthas thinks I’m just paranoid. After all, I have 5 more cycles yet. He is taking me to meet another one tonight. Evidently this one is different than the others. I doubt it. They all act the same way once they see me. I’m prettier than the average woman my age, in the words of too many suitors; “gorgeous.” I don’t think so.
“Arthas, are you ready yet?” He always took forever, but this time he took extra long. I pulled and the hood covering my face.
“Almost, Ika, calm down. I’d almost think you were excited to see this one. Especially with the way you’re fidgeting.” He teased. Normally I would laugh and hit him, but this time I was dressed nicely. Arthas’s idea not mine.
“Whatever. I’m gonna leave if you don’t take me to him soon.” I threatened. I would too, I had done it before and I would do it again.
“I’m comin’.” He finally came out of his rooms and led the way to a semi-public balcony.
On that balcony was a—
BRRRRRRRRRIINNGG!!!!
Time for lunch. Ika shut her tablet again. She slid it into her bag and slipped out the door. She almost escaped him.
“Hey, Ika,” he was waiting outside the room.
“Hello, Moose,” she replied, inwardly groaning. Ika began walking to the cafeteria, Moose followed. Moose was just his nickname. No one was really sure what his real name was.
“You wanna eat with us at lunch again?” Moose’s friends and Ika’s friends liked eating together, so Ika got stuck eating at the same table as Moose.
“Moose, if my friends sit there then yes I will too,” she slid into a line for food. This was always where she lost him. Ika got her food and swiped her ID before sitting down. She always sat against the wall, with her boyfriend on her right, and one of Moose’s friends sitting across from her.
Ika ate a little, and let the guys fight over who got the rest of her lunch. She pulled the tablet back out, but before she could do anything else with it, her boyfriend had it and was reading her latest story to the table. She slumped as far down as she could, as her face got more and more red.
BRRRRRRRRRIINNGG!!!!!
Ika snatched her tablet back from Seth. He grabbed her around the waist and hugged her before going off with his friends. This made her blush, just like it always did.
Later, Ika found out that some teachers had heard Seth read her story and had liked it. They wanted her to finish it and enter it in a contest that would give their school a free remodeling. She didn’t want to, but did anyway. She was told to stay in the library and finish it. Her teachers would be informed and excuse her from everything she would miss.
On that balcony was a very handsome young man. He didn’t gasp like the others, but then I realized my hood was still up. I slowly reached up and pulled my hood back. Then his eyes widened, but he didn’t say anything. Arthas introduced us. I said nothing, as was the custom. Then Arthas left me with him.
I didn’t think this was wise on his part. I was an unmarried woman left alone with an unmarried man in an empty balcony.
I was uncomfortable to say the least. I didn’t speak at first. He spoke a lot. The evening would have been romantic, had I not been so cold toward him. When it was time for me to get back, he walked me to where Arthas was waiting.
“So what did you think of him?” Arthas asked once I was safe in my rooms again.
“I don’t think he’ll make it any farther than the others,” I said as I hung the cloak back up. Then I walked into my wardrobe and took off the fancy outfit.
“They already approved,” he said quietly, hoping I wouldn’t hear. I came flying out of the wardrobe. I was wearing my night robe, but I moved with incredible speed.
“What are you talking about? Why did they approve? Why didn’t you tell me?” I yelled at him. I could hear the Useless Ones laughing down below. He stumbled back out of my reach. Suddenly I felt strong arms wrap around my waist. They lifted me off the floor.
“Arthas had nothing to do with this. I went to your clan leaders and asked for you myself,” I calmed down a little when Arthas stopped shrinking back in fear. Then the tears came, they were bitter tears.
The Useless Ones laughed again. The young man’s arms were strong and firm. I could feel them through my thin night robe. He was sold and not even quivering with the effort it took to hold me in the air.
I began to shiver. I had left the window open earlier so that I could hear the Useless Ones and write a story about them. In that story, I had a boyfriend, and friends, and I didn’t live with my entire family. In that story I had to write a story to get my school remodeled.
I’m now moved into his complex. Arthas has been here every day so far. He’s even slept here. I’ve kept myself apart from my mate. Arthas has helped unintentionally. They thought I was just being kind, but with Arthas here, I have an excuse not to be with my mate.
My mate trapped me into spending time with him. I do not enjoy it. Arthas has been summoned home. I am stuck with my mate for good now.
(Two years later)
We have two children and another one on the way. I’ve learned to live with my mate. This is the last I will be able to write. Good bye my dear diary.
Ika entered her story and won the remodeling. She has now become one of the most popular girl in her school.