Alice's Return

I slammed the doctor’s office door and stormed down the steps. My sister, Lorina, called after me, “Alice! Stop running! It’s okay, I won’t let anyone make fun of you anymore!” I ignored her, she was always wrong. She though Mr. Dodgson had just been documenting my thoughts and experiences for future reference, when he had actually been recording them to make into a book.
I didn’t stop walking, quite the opposite, I began jogging slowly picking up speed as I began to recognize the streets and houses of London. I finally reached the street I lived on and slowed to a walk, trying to catch my breath. I saw several windows open as I walked past, then shut as soon as I glanced at them. The attention never stopped, my mum and dad never heard the end of it, and dad was fired the other day. He’d been finding it hard to find a job, everyone has heard about my little adventure.
My classmates used to pick on me and steal my lunch claiming that “A white rabbit grabbed it and ran away! I guess he was late for something.” The entire cafeteria would burst out laughing. I ended up in the guidance office the first few times, but eventually I was led to the principal.
My mum was eventually forced to pull me out of public school and I had received home schooling, not that it did much good, for Mum always left to work wherever she could to support us, and Dad rarely left his room, except to grab a new alcoholic drink. I edged the door open and stepped inside, expecting to hear a rude comment or something from someone. But there was nothing, silence.
I tiptoed my way down the hallway and peered into Dad’s room, he was fast asleep. I sighed, feeling an immense pressure lift momentarily.
I eased the door to my room shut and I took that famous blue dress out again, I stared, there was where I ripped it in the White Rabbit’s house, after I accidentally consumed one of those horrible size potions. And there, there was the rust from the White Rabbit’s watch. I sighed, folding it up to shove to under my floorboards, hoping no one would find it.
I sat down on my small bed, with thoughts rushing through my mind. Should I run away? No, I can’t. But it would ease some of the pressure of my family. No, if I can just get through this phase. But I was kidding myself. This wasn’t a phase, it would stay with me wherever I went, however old I got. A tear slid down my cheek, dropping off of my chin onto my lap. I made a split decision, one that would change my life forever.
I snuck into the kitchen and grabbed a loaf of bread and an assortment of fruits. I took them back into my room and slid them under the covers. I was just closing my door when I heard Lorina walking up the front steps of our home. The doorknob jiggled several times, then finally I heard the telltale screech of its hinges. I braced myself for the reprimand I was sure was coming.
“Alice. Alice? Alice!” It wasn’t a mean or scolding call. I stepped out from the shadows of the hallway and Lorina gave a sigh of relief. “Oh, there you are. I was worried you didn’t come home.” She looked so tired and put out. We lapsed into silence and I backed slowly towards my door. I went inside and quickly locked it. I scooped up the food in my bed and put it into the small rucksack I had from my schooling years. I gently slid open the window, then forced my body through a gap it should not have fit through.
I dropped on all fours to the ground, then reached up and slid the window back down. The first few steps were the toughest, was I making the right decision? My thoughts passed and I began to pick up speed, walking at a brisk pace, my feet and legs seeming to know where to go. I passed the stores and houses of people from my past life. But no, now I was never coming back.
A lone tear rolled down my cheek as I reached my unknown destination. I stopped short; I was near the river where I had fallen down the rabbit hole. I thought I had left this god-forsaken place in my past. But I realized there was nowhere else for me to go.
Scanning the area, I realized that the White Rabbit’s hole had moved. I scurried forward, reminding me of myself not that long ago. I took a few steps toward it, breathing deeply to prepare myself for the plunge. I was on the brink looking down, when someone grasped my shoulders and spun me around.
“Lorina! You scared me. How did you know where to find me?”
“Well, it wasn’t that hard. I followed you since you left the house.” Lorina stated simply.
“Wow. Well, do you believe me now? You can see for yourself, right behind me.”
She gave me a concerned look, glancing over my should, “Alice, dear, there isn’t anything behind you. You are standing in the middle of nowhere. I mean, I know where we are, but there isn’t anything special about this place.”
“What do you mean? Can you not see this circle behind me? It’s a hole. The hole.” I hissed. She must be playing with me.
Lorina looked really worried, “Alice, I realize that you have been picked on and talked about a lot recently, but that doesn’t mean you need to give in and think that you are crazy. I know you, you aren’t like this.”
“Lorina! This is not funny!” I said in a loud voice. She grabbed my hand and pulled. I whipped my hand out and took a step back towards the hole. She followed, putting her arm through mine.
“Alice, let’s just go home. Stop making a spectacle of yourself! You are embarrassing me!”
“You’re embarrassed?! You don’t know the meaning of the word! You are nothing but a self-centered jerk!” I jerked away, my toes precariously hanging over the rim. She put her hand on my shoulder, meaning to push me away, but before she could, I grabbed her arm, and took the last step.
And we fell.
Back to Wonderland.

DemonXxXchild903 said...
Very Creative!! Just loved it! Wonderful job!!

KK2013 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! Sorry bout the late response, I didn't realize i never responded... :P

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was excellent, you did a wonderful job of twisting that story, well, not really twisting it, but thinking about what would happen to her when she got back.  Very imaginative and interesting.  Great job.

Haha, thank you! It was fun to think about Alice in a new way.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I'm sure it was:)

JohnWallOfTheWizards said...
Thank you so much for writing something like this, the movie ruined Alic in Wonderland for me, except The Hatter. I love fan fiction because the fans make there own stories. Now I hope someone makes a fan fic where Edward gives up and eats Bella. WOOHOOO

Hahaha, that would be AWESOME! im glad you like it so much :P

aub13zzz said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:03 am
This was really good... it went into Alice's mind after wonderland, and the consequences of her journey. :) very nice!

MayaElyashiv This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 3:53 am
This was really interesting! I never thought of what would happen to Alice after Wonderland, but this is definitely an amazing interpretation! 

Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:21 am
Yeah! That's what I was going for, making people think about the effects of something like that :P

Megaphone1927 said...

Wow! I was actually considering writing some kind of Alic-ey type story where she was kind of crazy or everyone thought she was crazy or something, but i never got around to it.

Even though I have read a ton of Alice-after-wonderland stories, this is definantly one of the best if not the best I've ever read.

Have you ever read the Through the Looking Glass Wars? I haven't read them, but after my sister read the beginning of your story, she thought that you wou... (more »)

Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Yeah! I read the first two of that series, and I think that they were really good. I forgot about those, lol.

Thank you! Maybe I'll write more on this...... hmm.

EllieK. said...
This was really cool and I liked the totally different take on the story. It was really unique.

Thank you!

renthead101 said...
wow i looove this!!!

roxymutt said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:50 am
this is great!!! who knew what happened to her AFTER the whole wonderland expirience...its very life like. back in those times you social status was a very important thing partaining to a job and who you hung around with! this was very well done...again you picked up the emotions perfectly and i liked taht the sister was unable to see the hole!!! :D well done

Thanks! Yeah, I was striving for something different from the normal Alice.

taylorf463 said...
This is really good! I like the way you are able to put such good description and voice into the events and your characters. It was really good!!! :)

redfer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 11:43 am
I liked this different take on Alice (too many people are sterotyping the character due to the hype over the new movie). Great job!