Shadow Watcher

They all start the same. I stand in a pool of light, as if an intense light bulb is right above my head. Outside my circle of light, darkness stretches indefinitely.
Out of the darkness walks a young woman, in black and white vision, as if she walked off the screen of an old movie. Her thin face is pale gray, her eyes black. Her hair is caught in a high ponytail, appearing light gray to my eyes, though I know it to be a mousy brown color.
Her name is Anya Bolastind. She is seventeen years old. Her parents kicked her out of the family when she was fifteen, when she first found out.
She walks towards and past me into the darkness behind me. I turn to follow her. The darkness has now shifted to a pathway in a dark park at night. The trees prevent me from seeing the stars, though the moon’s outline is pretty clear. Anya walks down the pathway, and I follow.
I don’t recognize the park. The trees are close together. The walkway is paved, but windy and narrow. Anya is finding her way easily; she’s clearly been here before.
I catch up to her when she stops at an intersection where five paths meet. She is quiet listening for something. I listen as well. The forest is silent – no birds calling, no rustle of leaves in the wind. The silence is collapsing in on us, making Anya and myself tense. Someone is waiting in the shadows – even I can sense it.
Suddenly out of the forest tops, with a loud cry, a man springs forth. He is entirely steel gray to me colorless vision and in each hand, he wields a short sword. He launches himself at Anya.
Anya whirls around as the man slams his swords down at her. Metal hits hard steel, Anya’s sword glowing in the faint moonlight, blocking the man’s attack.
The man shoves off her. Anya holds her ground and the man lunges again. The clanging of metals rings through the air as the two attack each other. I watch intently, focused on the fight.
Suddenly the scene goes fuzzy. Nothing is particularly clear. It’s like watching a television that has majorly bad reception.
It’s the moment I’ve been waiting for.
Anya is still fighting with her attacker. Out of the trees behind Anya, a second man, all in gray, drops to the ground. He slowly moves up behind Anya. She is unaware of the imminent danger behind her.
Then, just as suddenly as my vision went blurry, it clears up again. Everything is sharp and focused now.
The second man un-sheaves his sword and comes up right behind Anya. He thrusts his sword through Anya’s back. She freezes in pain, gasping.
Both men look at each other a moment and nod. The man withdraws his sword. Anya hits the ground in a pool of dark liquid – her blood.
Darkness closes in around me again. I’m alone. The vision is over. It’s time to wake up.
I open my eyes. The bright lights of the school’s bathroom hits my eyes. Blinking rapidly, I slowly sit up and lean against the blue tiled walls.
“What did you see?”
I turn and look at the boy sitting next to me. His dark brown hair lies in a mess on his head. His sea-blue eyes are filled with concern.
I take a deep breath. “We have work to do.”

eenyleah101 said...
Great story!  Suspenseful ending! Hope you write a sequel!

DestinysAgent said...
May 12, 2010 at 8:55 am
Wow, really suspenseful and dramatic!  You're a skilled writer, keep up the good work!