Magic Realism | Teen Ink

Magic Realism

By MusicCloud7 SILVER, Kanab, Utah
MusicCloud7 SILVER, Kanab, Utah

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe

If, a year ago, someone came up to me and said, “You are going to own a Unicorn,” I would have laughed them in the face. A Unicorn? Are you serious? No such thing… I was wrong.
Last summer I moved to my Aunt and Uncle’s farm in Monroe, just because of my “problems.” According to my parents, the city was too much for me, and that is why I was acting out. Being 17 and on the taller side, with long curly brown hair, freckles and glasses, didn’t exactly make me popular. But I wasn’t after popularity. I just wanted to get done with school and live life. Obviously, there was something wrong with my lifestyle, so I got stuck with my crazy aunt and stoic uncle in the middle of nowhere.

When I first got there my amazing Aunt Brenda had the idea of starting a “Happy Regimen”, which consisted of buying and taking care of an animal of my choice. Since I was a little girl I had always wanted a horse and seeing as how we were on a farm, I decided that was what I wanted.

So we looked. Every time I would see an animal of my liking something would change and it wouldn’t happen. Perfectly well bred mare. Pretty Paint color. No good. She wasn’t “My type of horse” according to my aunt.

One day, I was sitting at the table reading a book on horse care and my aunt came rushing in,

“Nadia! I found you a horse! But we need to hurry! It’s a great horse and it is going to sell fast!”

I jumped up and ran out to the car. We drove for about half an hour, anticipation kicking in and getting my heart beating. Finally, we pulled up to an old, decrepit farm, where and old woman was standing outside waiting. We parked and got out. I looked at my aunt to see if she was as freaked out by the old woman as I was, but she had a huge smile on her face. I sighed. I had a feeling it was going to be a long selling process.

When we reached the old woman she beckoned to us to follow her. So we did. When we got to the back of her house, the Corral, I looked around... I didn't see any horse... But there was a barn, so maybe it was in there. We got to the gate, and I tried to sneak a peak... still nothing. So I gave up.
I look at my aunt and the old woman. They were both staring at me with the same identical smile on their face.
"What are you guys looking at?!"
My aunt smiled wider and shook her head.
"This one does not pay attention very well does she Brenda?" the old woman said, then sighed. "Maybe you should pay better attention" she said.
With this I looked back at the Barn. Standing outside was a beautiful white horse, with a long ... blue mane.
"Why is it's mane blue?" I asked
My aunt looked at me like I was crazy, but the old woman was smiling wider.
"I knew it" "What are you talking about?" They both said at the same time.
I looked at the old woman, and she nodded.
"Never mind. Sorry the light from the sun was shining weird."

I opened the corral gate and walked into corral. Even though I was walking confidently towards the horse (my horse) I was nervous. It was like going on your first date with someone you don't know. When I reached the horse I looked up shyly. When I looked into it's eyes all the nervousness disappeared. Of course I knew this horse. This was my horse. I reached up and petted her face.
"Hello Mia" I whispered and smiled. When my head reached the top of her head, I gasped. She had a horn! One single horn on the top of her head. I was going to be the owner of a unicorn.

*

*

*

When the horse (unicorn) was loaded up and payed for, the three of us sat in the dining room for a cup of Tea. While my aunt and the old woman (I guess her name was Ethel) talked I looked around. Her house had a magical quality surrounding it. There were pictures of leaves and fairies on the walls, and there was absolutely no dust. I then looked at Ethel and she was looking right at me. I smiled, and she grinned in return.

*

*

*

From then on my grades picked up. I didn't want to party anymore because I wanted to go home and ride Mia. I knew she was special, and I knew I was special to be able to own her. When we rode I couldn't keep the smile off of my face.

I guess, after all, moving with my aunt and uncle was the best thing that had happened to me.

My Teacher inspired me to write this. She really is quite amazing and helps me a lot.