An Odd Case of Lycanthropy

I wanted to be human. My friend Mitt thought I was crazy.

He said dogs will always be dogs and nothing else. But I didn’t believe him. But, I would find he was right.

This morning I felt fat. Well, I always feel fat (I’m a Bull Dog.) I also felt taller. I moved my back legs to scratch my Butt. My leg gave a pang of discomfort. I should stretch, I thought. That should work.

I stretched out and felt longer. Then I tried to scratch my butt. Man that felt great.

I then got ready for my morning jaunts. My paws felt cold. My paws usually didn’t get so cold. I looked at my paws. They were human hands. I fainted.

I woke to the smell of hot dogs and a strong hand shaking me. “Mista, Mista, are ya hurt?” Another shake. I sat up to see who was shaking me. It was a man.

He had a face black with dirt and grime. He also had very old shoes and a trench coat that had holes and looked like Swiss cheese.

I couldn’t find the words to say! All I could do was make a low guttural sound. “Ya look cold mista. Hurs my jacket.”

Our friendship started from that moment. I found out the guys name. His name was Russ. Russ showed me how to “walk” and Russ showed me how to “borrow”.

The “borrowing” came in handy and I got some “pants” and what Russ called a “hoodie”.

He also showed me how to beg and I got a hot dog.

The hot dog was heavenly. I could live like this for months.

Being human gets boring. Especially when you can’t talk.

Every time I dreamt, I dreamed of being a dog running free.

I dreamt of chasing cats with Mitt and running from the dog catcher.

The next day, Russ noticed me feeling gloomy and tried to cheer me up, but it didn’t work. The next day I saw Mitt. He was just eating a bone when the dogcatcher came.

The dogcatcher caught Mitt with his net. Mitt struggled like a fish out of water.

I couldn’t stand it any more.
I bared my teeth and growled angrily. “Man, ya ok?” I ignored Russ’s question. I took off my pants and hoodie and attacked. The dogcatcher yelled for help. I scratched and bit him viciously. The dog catcher let go and off ran Mitt towards an alley.

I ran off with Mitt and I became a dog again.

I see Russ once in a while. I say hi sometimes and he pets me in between the ears, never knowing I was the man he helped months earlier.

Dragonslayer5000 said...
When I wrote the quote, my computer was giving me typing issues. Sorry.