Kimmy-Ann's Anecdote | Teen Ink

Kimmy-Ann's Anecdote

By liv_luv_4eva SILVER, Morganville, New Jersey
liv_luv_4eva SILVER, Morganville, New Jersey

Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

Tears sting her eyes as she thought of her past. Once upon a time Kimmy-Ann had real parents that loved her. Once upon a time she laughed with her sisterSo much happened in the past few years that she could write a biography. Her biological parents divorced almost seven years ago-about the time she turned six. She mostly lived with her mom for the first, year according to her confidential court papers. Her mom started dating and was out late almost every night asking a kind, old neighbor to baby-sit. So this was an unstable living condition for Kimmy-Ann. Her neighbor couldn’t take it anymore, watching the girl living without mom figure around the house. She called her friend, a social worker.
She tried living with her dad and older sister, Emilie. Then, her dad met a woman who was a drug-addict. Pretty soon, Hamen, Kimmy-Ann’s dad, was on drugs, too and similar situation with Mera, her mom. Once again the kind, old neighbor called her friend the social worker and discussed further with her and Hamen’s lawyer. Emilie and Kimmy-Ann would be put up for adoption since none of their relatives are capable of adopting them.

“We are very sorry, but we must separate you and Emilie,” the lawyer acknowledged. I’m very sorry but it’s for the best.” Suddenly frightened, Kimmy-Ann ran through that thought while chills racing down her spine. If you know what’s best, you wouldn’t separate Emile and me. She was hugging Emilie, eleven at that time.

“Everything’s going to be okay. I promise to comeback for you.” Emilie got some money from her baby-sitting savings and bought Kimmy-Ann a necklace that matches up with hers. “I love you li’l sis. Please never forget me”, Emilie soothed, trying hard not to cry.

Whatever, they thought and burst out crying frenziedly and hugging.
Ever since, Kimmy-Ann lives with Aria and Hudson Namos. But then they divorced and Kimmy-Ann lives with Aria. Aria re-married to Ken Miky and had a baby girl named Lillian Miky. “She has the cutest black eyes ever,” she tweeted on Twitter.
It was nearing Kimmy-Ann’s birthday and her friends were planning a surprise party for her. Aria was pregnant again and everyone was excited. Nothing can stop this “golden” season from blooming, Kimmy-Ann thought.
The day has come. It’s April 27, Kimmy-Ann’s birthday. She triple checked her appearance in the mirror before her party. She had a rush of thoughts about her past. She remembered Emilie her long-lost sister, her biological mom and dad, the neighbor who called social services and let all this happen. Suddenly she had an urge to go visit them.
Something twinkling caught her eye. “My name is Fairytwinkle,” the fairy informed. She was Kimmy-Ann’s fairy. All of the girls who went through hard times have a fairy. The fairy acted like a messenger for kids.
“OMG! Mom, mom! There is a real live fairy in my room! ,” Kimmy-Ann tired to scream. But she was too in awe to do anything but whisper. Then there was a beautiful lullaby that came from the fairy. That calmed me down an iota.
It sounded so familiar. Where had she heard that before? Finally, when Fairytwinkle saw that Kimmy-Ann calmed, she spoke again.
“Your real parents sang that to you when you were a little girl,” the fairy breathed.
“They are better now and would wish to see you.”

Kimmy-Ann thought about it. She was excited and soon forgot her sadness. “What do they look like? What jobs do they have? ,” Kimmy-Ann fired at her.

The glittering fairy stopped her. “Aria knows about it and your questions would be answered when you meet your parents. They are better parents and you might be moving in with them soon.” After that, she had a long talk with Aria.

“Don’t worry about it. Today’s your birthday. Have fun,” Aria reassured. “Who wants some ice-cream cake?”

“You don’t have to ask me twice,” Kimmy-Ann replied. As she strolled toward the huge kitchen, her friends leaped out.

“Surprise!” they all sang in unison “Happy birthday Kimmy-Ann!!” Kitty presented her gift, wristbands that said friends forever. Kathie gave her a scrapbook of all the times they spent together. Angie and Kristi gave her an immense collaged pop-up card. Kimmy-Ann almost cried.

It was heart-breaking to realize that she would possibly have to leave her superb friends. Mom (Aria) wouldn’t tell my friends until I’m ready nor would she? I’ll ask her after the party; after my last party with Angie and Kitty, Kristi and Kathie. The party was enthusiastic with awesome DDR dancing, karaoke singing, and a huge pool slide. But Kimmy-Ann was still thinking about her parents. The thought that she would have to leave Lillian is clouding her thoughts.

She must have had a notable despondent expression because they asked her to join them at the pool. She forgot her worries and indulged in the spirited activities. After splashing her friends with bucket after bucket of water, they culminated the party.

Months past and Kimmy-Ann was doing great in school. She completely forgot about her trip to her biological parents’ homes. As Kimmy-Ann finished the rest of the year, she tried to shirk the thought. When the time came for Kimmy-Ann to go, Aria had another talk with her. Aria lavished Kimmy-Ann with a whole new wardrobe so that she would be less sullen.

“I‘m ready,” Kimmy-Ann proclaimed when she arrived at Mera’s house; Aria trailing behind her, feeling awkward. Her mom looked the same physically, Kimmy-Ann thought. Mentally, she would find out soon enough. She ran over to the tactful old neighbor’s house, a block away, she was in the yard, happy to see Kimmy-Ann. “I just want to say thank you for making that phone call,” Kimmy-Ann thanked her. Everything is adequate. No, it’s more than adequate; it’s just right.

THis piece was started in a journaling session in my L.A. class in 6th grade.