Remember Me part 1 | Teen Ink

Remember Me part 1

February 22, 2010
By alwayswriting14 SILVER, Northport, New York
alwayswriting14 SILVER, Northport, New York
7 articles 1 photo 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything makes sense yet nothing makes sense."


Remember Me Part 1

To whomever this may concern:

By the time you read this I will be dead. My body will be in the many labs of Hartley undergoing examination, as is mandatory for all those dying of a disease.

My name is Charlotte Monroe, and I am dying of Leukemia. I am 14 years old and I must tell you many horrible things about what goes on now. By the time you read this report I will be gone but the Change is going to be in motion. I am going to tell you how it happened, why it happened, and what I think will happen when I am gone. All I ask is that after you read this you will remember me.

By now I assume the shot called the “Cure” for now, later to be a government mandated medicine to cure cancer, is up and running. Now I hope you can go to the doctor and when they say, “You have cancer” it will be merely an annoyance where you get a shot and a follow up that confirms you are all okay with one dose. I am sorry for those who still die from it because you are allergic to the shot.

In my time if you have cancer it is a shock and a worry because there is no set cure, only treatments that you pray to whomever you believe in that it will work.

For me, I have a cancer with no cure, and I have three months to explain and gather all the data necessary to explain what your history tablets cannot.

It all began for me on a bright blue summer day. I know it will come as a shock to you but I can see the sun as I write, a big round sphere pulsing with energy. It is beautiful. I am so sorry for you, those who will never see the sun. I went to the doctor for my physical. I won’t bother you with the sorry details because there is much more sadness to come but many tests later it was determined I had a year to live and I was just 13.

I am so glad I got this cancer. I know this makes no sense but without it I would have never known the Change or saw the subtle control of the AAA. It is killing us now. Just look outside your window and see the thick smog that covers each of your bits of the sky. Just remember when all is said and done to remember me.
-Charlotte Monroe, member of the Change
P.S. Before you go on think about what you would do if you had all the power in the world, and every moment of time to use it, if you still can…


The author's comments:
This is a scfi twist on a movement that really happened in 1969 in a Calfornia high school, called THE WAVE.