Wind Chimes... | Teen Ink

Wind Chimes...

By MyLuckyStars SILVER, Annapolis, Missouri
MyLuckyStars SILVER, Annapolis, Missouri

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep...and miles to go before I sleep. " ---Robert Frost

My name is Alexis Grace, and I live in the woods. My brother Jensen Alexander lives with me. We're different from other people; we can't come out in public. We hide in the woods, taking cover of the trees, slipping into the shadows.
"Alexis, look, " Jensen said as he flew from the tree branches. "I learned how to dive! " He stretched his wings and soared back up to the tree, his arms stretched out in front of him. He laughed, being his excited young self, a sound like wind chimes through the breeze. "I can dive! " he laughed and glided downward.
"Jensen, be careful! Don't hurt yourself, and don't be so loud. People will hear! " I scolded. Jensen landed on his feet and tucked his long, silvery wings behind him. "Don't be such a party-pooper, Alexis. You gotta have some fun! "
"Says who? " I asked him, crossing my arms.
"Whoever invented the saying 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'. " He laughed his wind-chime laugh, his young voice echoing through the trees. It had become nightfall, and the shadows in the woods became more prominent. Suddenly, there was a sound, like footfalls on a snapping twig. Jensen and I froze, then dashed for the cover of more trees. When we were sure we were hidden well, we peeked from behind the bark.
A young girl, maybe my age came from the trees into the clearing. She had long, red hair and bright eyes. "Are you lost? " Jensen said from our cover. My mouth dropped open in surprise. The girl started, and looked up, suddenly afraid because she could not see us. "Y-yes... " she replied to the darkness. "My parents and I just bought a house...and I wandered off. "
"Oh, you must be talking about the old wooden one with the wrap-around porch, " Jensen said. I grabbed onto his arm and started pulling him farther away. Our cover could not be blown. We had worked so hard to keep it a secret for all these years. What was Jensen thinking?
"Yes...that's the one, " she replied, moving closer to our haven.
"It's back the way you came, but there's a path that splits in two. Take the one on your left or you'll get lost for sure. " Jensen said as I dragged him back.
"Okay, thanks... " the girl said, backing away into the forest again. No sooner had she disappeared, than Jensen stepped out from the hiding spot. "Alexis! " he yelled at me.
"What, Jensen? You just almost blew our cover! What were you thinking? "
"WHOA! " a voice called from behind. Jensen had his wings spanned all the way out, and the red-haired girl stood there, her mouth agape, eyes wide, where she'd just walked out from the woods.

What inspired me to write this short story is James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. :)