Blue With Red Tint | Teen Ink

Blue With Red Tint

By JulianaB. GOLD, Chickasha, Oklahoma
JulianaB. GOLD, Chickasha, Oklahoma

'I understand now what you wanted all along, you want me to embrace your pain and suffering. If you really have to fight, it's the least I can do.'

I gave the girl her change and looked at Hannah. She smiled.

"What?" I asked her, raising one of my eyebrows.

"Told you you would be good at this job," she said knowingly.

"Yeah, well, Ill be good at any job if it means I can get some money."

"Whatever."

I thought about arguing with her, telling her that I really hated this job so far, but I couldnt because a guy came up to the counter right then.

I looked up. He looked vaguely familiar, but I couldnt remember where I had seen him before. He was only a few inches taller than me, with blonde hair and blue eyes. I swear that they looked blue with a red tint to them, but that wouldnt make very much sense.

At least, it didnt until later.

He seemed nervous...he was shaking and his eyes kept looking at the clock, like he was waiting for something to happen. He sat down a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some money on the counter.

"Hey, are you okay?" Hannah had appeared beside me, "Youre shaking."

He looked up at her. I still thought I could see a red tint in his eyes. "Yeah, Im fine." His voice sounded calm and steady; the total opposite of how he was acting.

"Please," Hannah said in a unbelieving voice, "Im smart enough to know when somethings wrong with a person."

"Yeah," I chimed into their little conversation, "you really dont look so good."

He looked at me this time. I saw something flash in his eyes. Mabye he recognized me from somewhere, too. "If you were both as smart as you say you are, you would get out of here before its too late."

"What?" I said confused, "What are you-" I heard a loud, earsplitting sound from outside and covered my ears. Hannah did the same. I looked outside and couldnt see anything, but I could definetly hear it. Inside the store, a little girl screamed and cried while her mom picked her up and tried to cover both of their ears while other customers and workers did the same.

"Too late." I heard the guy buying the rubbing alcohol say quietly.

Then there was a flash of bright light and something crashed into the store; breaking all of the glass that the wall was made of. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and quickly looked down. There was blood. Alot. Suddenly I was on the ground and I could hear Hannah screaming my name, "Annalynn! Someone help me! Please!"
Suddenly everything went black.

A small piece of a story I wrote a while ago.