The Red Crusaders Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

The Red Crusaders Chapter 1

September 19, 2009
By Anonymous

“Keera? You got in trouble again?” Devin shouted.
“I couldn’t help it,” I sighed.
“It was just sooo cute!” I continued.
“Keera. It was black. And it was scary! How can you like stuff like that?” She scolded.
“Ugh… fine. I’ll stop. But that time I wouldn’t have gotten caught if that guy was standing there staring at me!” I cried, shaking my fist in the air. Beth’s head perked up.
“A guy?” She giggled.
“Jeez Devin. If I say guy, you say how cute? If I say Black, you say TOO SCARY!” I sighed.
“Well tell me about him anyway.”
“Well he was mysterious and handsome…” I started.
“Ooh! He’s mysterious and handsome? Sounds like my type!” Devin laughed. I laughed with her.
“Wait for it… he was dark and wore black clothing…” I continued.
“Lost my interest,” she sighed. We both looked at each other and started laughing hysterically. But I couldn’t help think about the guy… He stared at me as if he had found his lost lover. That guy scared me. I hope I didn’t have to see him again, but the way he looked at me… I could tell I was.
“Keera!” Devin snapped me out of my daydreaming.
“Are you going to sneak into the park again tonight?” she asked, being serious.
“I was thinking about it…” I sighed.
“Keera… could I come?” She surprised me.
“What’s with the surprise attack?” I choked. My little Devin, growing up to be a delinquent.
“I want to become more…. More…”
“More like me?” I giggled.
“A little bit….” She blushed.
“Sorry but I can’t I’m going shopping.” I sighed.
“You don’t mean stealing?” she giggled.
“No, I don’t mean stealing!” I laughed.

I woke up the next morning and got dressed. I had no parents. No one knew where I came from. I went to boring 11th grade high school. Put on my school uniform and put on my make-up. I wasn’t totally Goth, but I wasn’t totally preppy. Which I liked. I stepped out side and smelled the fresh air. Everyday felt better and better. The weather got warmer and warmer and the sky became clearer and clearer. But something felt strange. I couldn’t figure it out. I just felt weird. Something moved behind me and I saw the guy from the store.
“Hello? May I help you?” I asked impatiently.
“Majesty! I can’t believe I found you!” His face was bright and filled with joy.
“Do I know you?” I stopped walking and looked at him.
“Of course you know me!” he laughed.
“But of course there is that problem about the memory wiping about 200 years ago…” he continued.
“What?!?! I knew you were crazy when I saw you at the store!” I turned as fast as I could and tried to run to my car. But he caught up to me and dragged me the other way.
“What are you doing? I know you like to have a dry sense of humor Princess Keera, but it’s no time for jokes!” He continued to drag me.
“You’re kidnapping me?!?! You can’t do that! I’ll scream!” I opened my mouth to scream when the guy looked at me.
“Silence me Majesty. You must rest.” He stared at me with silver eyes.
“Wha-…” I started but then everything went black.

Devin Hales

“Raven didn’t come to school today!” I shouted at the principal.
“She skips school some days. I can’t do anything about it.”

And to think principals were supposed to be “pals”.
“Not without telling me the day before!” I shouted.
“So you know when she’ll be absent Devin Hales!” He shouted. I recoiled like he slapped me. I ran out of the office almost crying. This is bad. Very very bad!

The Black Princess

I stirred. I opened my eyes and looked around. I was in a bed. And the room was dark. Where am I? I ran my fingers through me long jet-black hair. What am I going to do? No parents. No family. I thought about what happened before this happened. Before anything happened. I woke up in my house in the bed. I didn’t remember anything before. No one to take care of me. I was all-alone with that… crazy guy. I started to hear distant voices.
“Are you sure it’s her?” A woman’s voice asked, she sounded concerned.
“Yes! I have been watching her for two days! She eats, sleeps, talks, and looks like Princess Keera!” It was the boy from the store.
“But she doesn’t remember anything!” The woman shouted.


The author's comments:
What inspired me to write this was that everything seemed so easy for some people, to do whatever they want. I wanted to show people how a fantasy can't just end at the happy part, sometimes there's more to it.