Bite | Teen Ink

Bite

It was dark. The moonlight filtered through the windows of my bedroom, casting the room into a silver glow. There were plenty of stars out tonight, standing like dreams waiting to be unleashed.
Piercing the tranquil aura of the previous moment, an unexpected dull and distant thud made my heart pound erratically against my chest.
I tugged my bedclothes tighter around me, drawing them upward until they reached my chin. Abruptly, a shadow flickered across the wall.
I tried to steady my suddenly rapid breathing. I gasped, beginning to panic as I heard movement in the corner of the room, which was obscured by lurking shadows.
I saw a colossal, bear-sized shape approach me, moving with agile grace. The beast made no sound. Terror surged through my body, pulsing through my veins like a drug.
A glimpse of the animal made me clutch my throat in horror.
His black, fur shrouded body was hunched, crouched, cautious. It had a very large, bare torso, long and muscular arms, and strong legs. His eyes were the colour of deep, liquid-red blood and they were sharp, observant. They flickered here and there, scanning for the possibility of movement from others. The beast had a small snout, and beneath this, lips curled around sinister-looking teeth, ready to rip and shred.
I was desperate to scream, reach out and push the monster away, or even just cover my eyes. But I was frozen in rigid shock; Unable to defend myself as the creature leant forward and deeply inhaled the scent of my skin.
For one brief moment, he gazed intently into my eyes. The face, that horrifically hideous face without warning turned ravenous. His eyes glinted in excited contentment as he leant back into an even lower crouch, ready to pounce, to strike.

*

*

*

I forced my lead-heavy lids to open. I gasped as I began to wake up and feel a searing pain at the side of my neck. I writhed in agony as the pain at my throat blazed uncontrollably. I could not recognise my surroundings, the pain blurring my vision. A tortured scream tore through my lips, the pain unbearable.
I felt a gentle, yet firm hand attempt to soothe me, stroking my face with a loving touch. I forced myself to go beyond the pain to see the face of the person comforting me. Eventually, I saw a face, wavering before my eyes, rippling like a sheet of water. But I would always recognise that face. I would do anything for him.
Just to see his face, which looked like an angel’s through my eyes. Just to hear his alluring laugh. Just to touch the unblemished surface of his skin. Just to feel his misty breath on my cheek, to taste the minty-sweetness of his tongue…
Michael.
I loved Michael so passionately, I would murder just to be with him. I know he returns my love.
But for now, just having him here is all I could do to live past the pain that is tormenting me so. With all the strength I had left, I slid my hand over and grasped his free hand, holding it tight.
‘I love you Michael”, was my last thought as I drifted into a pain-filled slumber.

*

*

*

I did not choose this life, a life of suffering. For me, my family, and those I love. One bite has thrust my life into unreversable torturing. Now, I am doomed to a fate where I will never be normal or human again.
I am a monster.
Whether I like it or not, I am a monster. A werewolf, never to be changed again.

*

*

*

A soft thud jerked me out of my thoughts. Michael visits me nearly every night. But this night was different. I had tried so desperately to tell him not to come, but after that fateful evening, he would never stay away.
A figure emerged from deep within the shadows.
“Hi,” Michael whispered.
I took a deep breath before answering in a controlled voice, “I told you not to come.”
“You can’t honestly believe I would stay away, could you?” He replied.
“No,” I sighed.
“Okay, spill.” Michael said matter-of-factly. “I know something is up.”
“Nope. Everything’s fine, I swear. You just have to leave. You’re going to get caught!”
“When have I ever been caught before? You’re Dad sleeps like the dead.”
“Please! You don’t understand!” I begged.
The scent of Michael’s skin wafted over me, and the helpless human body I loved so strongly seemed so inviting… I had the sudden urge to lunge…
“Then help me to!”
“I can’t tell you. It’s not that I don’t want to. You won’t ever want to be around me again if I tell you. Trust me.”
Michael leant forward, pain behind his eyes. He took my face in his hands and a look of sympathy crossed his face.
“I will always love you, no matter what has happened. It’s your turn to trust me.”
I fell into his arms struggling not to cry. I lost the battle. Tears streamed down my face, despite me trying to force them back. Michael cradled me in a tight embrace, waiting. Now a look of expectancy had begun to make itself shown.
I did not know how long I wept for. It could have been a mere minute, or it could have been an hour. All I know is that when my tears had finally begun to subside, Michael’s expression had not faded.
Do I tell him that I am a beast? A werewolf? That I could kill him with my eyes closed at this very moment? He would never look at me the same again.
But I don’t know how long I could keep a secret from him. It would betray our trust in each other, I know it would. And if I don’t tell him, what would I say to him now? I could never survive without him. But I know that I can’t be with him. I would kill him! I can transform into an untamed monster at any moment, and I would have no control of my actions.
Do I stay with him, and risk his life? Or leave and risk both of our sanity?
That, I could not do. Leave him forever, make him believe that I did not love him. No, I could not do that.
I would have to tell him.
“Michael?” I began my voice hoarse.
“Yes?”
“Please understand… you have to believe me. You must swear never to tell anybody what is about to escape from my lips. Never!”
Michael nodded in reply.
“I’m not… human anymore. That night, an animal crept into my room, and it bit me.” I struggled, dreading Michael’s reaction. “ I am… a werewolf”.
Michael stayed perfectly still, his expression unfathomable.
“Mike?”
“But…werewolves are just a myth…”
I shook my head, wishing it were true.
“I don’t know if I should be with you… I could kill you, Mike!”
Michael’s mouth dropped open before his expression turned fierce. Oh no. I would know that look anywhere. He’s made up his mind about something, and Michael’s not one to change his decision.
“What?” I queried a suspicious tone to my voice.
“Bite me”. He said fiercely. “If this is the only way we can be together, then bite me.”
“No way!” I would have shouted, but then my dad would wake up. “I’m not going to bite you! It would change your life forever! I didn’t have a choice!”
“But I do.” Michael replied. Our gaze became locked together. That face I loved so much was in pain. I could not bear to see that.
“I can’t. I can’t do that to you. We’re only young! You’re only young! You could do so much with your life. Don’t let me interfere.” My heart ached in sorrow. I didn’t want to have to make this decision.
“And besides, I might not be able to control that I don’t kill you. Will I be able to stop with only one bite?”
Michael remained silent for a long time.
“Yes.’ He eventually replied. “I trust you.”
I shook my head slowly.
“Please.” He whispered. “We could have a life together. We could go and live somewhere deep in the forest… you don’t have to do this alone.”
I mulled all that he had said over in my mind. Sure, I would love for him to support me, but is our young love enough to last a lifetime?
‘Yes,’ I decided. If this is what he wants…
I looked up into Michael’s eyes. Hadn’t I said I would do anything for him? This was my chance to prove my love.
I smiled, and immediately Michael knew my answer. His eyes lit up with excitement.
“I love you.” I whispered as I carefully pressed my teeth to his throat.

Reaker552 said...
on Feb. 1 2010 at 1:30 pm
great story wonderfull.

evie428 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 17 2009 at 6:37 pm
evie428 BRONZE, Ontario, Other

"Writing a novel is not merely going on a shopping expedition across the border to an unreal land: it is hours and years spent in the factories, the streets, the cathedrals of the imagination."

I laughed at the line, "Your dad sleeps like the dead." :D

evie428 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 17 2009 at 6:35 pm
evie428 BRONZE, Ontario, Other

Woah . . . . I love this!!! (and yes, It reminds me a bit of Twilight . . . that's a very good thing!)

13islucky said...
on Nov. 13 2009 at 7:39 pm
13islucky, North Hills, California

Be yourself everyone else is already taken

I love it write a whole book!!!!!!!

on Nov. 3 2009 at 9:40 am
mistfairy BRONZE, Lawrenceburg, Indiana

You can change your mind, your clothes, your hair, almost anything. The one thing youcan't change is who you are.

more please xp

ItsNiva said...
on Oct. 22 2009 at 11:53 am
very good!

your writing is like that in twilight - and i think thats a good thing!

very good.

on Sep. 29 2009 at 6:12 pm
ExpressThruWriting SILVER, Green Forest, Arkansas

"One of these days you will meet the right man who will always treat you right.... Yea what a load of crap..." -author unknown

I absoulutly adore your writing, it was incredible the way you put the picture into my mind.

andwer34 said...
on Sep. 29 2009 at 2:22 pm
very good word choice

on Sep. 29 2009 at 12:00 pm
I love your description of the beast it sounded very large and scary.

Emoprairedog said...
on Sep. 23 2009 at 10:49 am
i really liked this peice but i do agree that it sounds like twilight. but other than that it was a very good very descriptive peice. keep up the good work! :]

Sabryth GOLD said...
on Sep. 21 2009 at 10:35 am
Sabryth GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas
i like this one!

on Sep. 14 2009 at 6:15 pm
a_bunch_of_nuns, Unknown, Wisconsin
You know, I have to say: you have a wonderful writing voice, full of passion and suspense. I do agree, however, that your piece is uncannily like Twilight.

But I'll have to give it to you: you finally showed a GIRL being the monster, instead of the guy. ;)

on Sep. 12 2009 at 6:22 pm
gothchick1995 SILVER, Santa Clara, California

"Braccas meas vescimini!" ('eat my pants' in Greek)

I love It!!!!

Silvia BRONZE said...
on Sep. 11 2009 at 8:29 pm
Silvia BRONZE, Galesburg, Illinois
My only problem with this is that it sounds a bit too much like Twilight--try writing a piece a little more original. If you did that, your great descriptions and wonderful writing will create a masterpiece.

LaylaViolet said...
on Sep. 11 2009 at 11:38 am
This totally reminds me of Twilight; anyone agree? Forbidden love never sounded so good. Great story, great work! :P

on Sep. 9 2009 at 11:23 am
GraceGallows PLATINUM, Plainville, Massachusetts
i love it! such a sweet story, i love it :)

ChantyLover said...
on Sep. 9 2009 at 2:28 am
This is a truly captivating piece of writing. I could not stop reading until I reached the very last word. Absolutely riviting. Love it. Keep it up :P

LovelyLady said...
on Sep. 8 2009 at 6:35 pm
This is great stuff! Heart pounding, really liked it. Good job

Anon. said...
on Sep. 8 2009 at 4:02 am
Good story, not something I'd usually read though. Few punctuation errors, and sometimes too many adjectives (it started to sound like you got a dictionary and used as many as adj. as possible at times), but otherwise very well written. Well done.

JustMe212 GOLD said...
on Sep. 7 2009 at 1:53 pm
JustMe212 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia

If you want to look young and Beautiful, stand next to ugly old people.
(love this, hilarious :)

wow. Its really good:) i started reading it and could not stop til the end. and im usually not even into this kind of stuff...nice:) keep it up