Why I Will Not Get Out of Bed | Teen Ink

Why I Will Not Get Out of Bed

By Jordan Rockower SILVER, New City, New York
Jordan Rockower SILVER, New City, New York

After an awesome night with my cousins, I finally fell down on my bed and next thing I know, I’m being transformed into another world. Maybe I’m dreaming? Its game 7 of the World Series. I’m sitting in the dugout, hoping my team can win it all. Just total pandemonium. The score is tied at six. It’s the bottom of the 9th inning. There is little chance I come up to bat, and if I do, it will be in the biggest situation. The leadoff batter reached on a single. The next guy pops up for the first out. The following batter rips a sharply hit ball into left field for a hit. First and second one down. The next batter flies out to the right fielder for the second out. I step into the on-deck circle. The batter before me walks. Two out bases loaded, game 7 of the World Series. Here I am coming up to the plate in the biggest moment of my life. This is the type of scenario that kids dream about, while playing wiffle ball in their back yard. I stroll up to the plate. I look at the pitcher. He’s got a blazing fastball. Man I wish Kenny Rogers was pitching... Ball one. The crowd is so loud I couldn’t hear myself think. You can’t think and hit at the same time anyway… Next pitch, strike one. The count went to 2-2 after I fouled off some good pitches. The crowd is in delirium. He came to the belt and delivered; ball three outside. I stepped out of the batters box and took a breath. The runners are in motion. With one swing I can win the World Series! Here it comes. The pitcher leans back and I see him release the ball. It’s coming in slow motion. I see the seams of the ball spinning. I’m about to connect and suddenly; I hear my name somewhere. “Jordan!” Could it be coach telling me not to swing? If this is a dream, there’s no way I am waking up! My bat in slow motion starts to make contact, and Boom. I see my cousin staring at my face smiling. I was like, are you serious? He was like, “you don’t want to play PS3 with me?” I was like what about the World Series?” And he was like, “oh you mean MLB 09 The Show?” I was like, noooo that was all a dream!” He had no idea what I was talking about. I wanted to just stay in bed all day. He probably would have said, “you were about to swing at ball four anyway…”