Soon Forgotten

Except for the roars of vehicles as they sped past the nearly empty house, silence hung in the air. For once in my life, I felt comfortable. Safe, even. The reassuring touch of the granite bathtub against my many legs promised no harm could befall me. Yet fear would still burst through my tiny body every time the vibration of humans talking and laughing reached my hiding space.

It wasn't fair. I did nothing to humans, nothing except flinch and scuttle away when they approached me with murderous objects. I never asked to be born such an ugly little thing, with various beady eyes and a quick sense to run when spotted.

Creak.

The opening of the walnut door, leading into the bathroom, broke the silence. My legs felt numb; they didn't want to move. Footsteps shuffled against the tiled floor, stopping right before the bathtub. My instinct took over. I curled into the smallest point my body could reach, but it wasn't enough. A hesitant finger prodded my abdomen. My eyes shut themselves, though my heart's beat sped up.

The prodding didn't stop. The next one was more urgent, as if they though I was dead. I stayed put. The human failed to cease the touching. It's two fingers started to pick me up when my eyes flew open. I ran from it's cool skin and up the bathtub, not stopping until finally resting on the wall. A shriek followed my sudden move.

Nothing happened next. I rooted my small body on the shower head, where drips of water were coming from the holes, the result of the last hour's bathing session. It was then I saw the human with direct eye contact. She was at least fourteen years old, with long, graceful blond hair and pale pink lips. In her hands, she held my fate.

“I'm sorry, “ she murmured, trapping me in the snow white tissue. I didn't do anything. I couldn't. I was encased in there forever, until she decided where I would go.

I felt myself being taken from the wall, past the sink, past the toiletry cabinet, and to the toilet itself, where she dropped me, tissue in all, inside. The impact of water was unbearable. I squirmed, I fidgeted, I fought to keep myself alive. But it was no use.

“I'm sorry,” the human whispered again, and her hand plunged down on the handle. The water began to swirl, like a raging, violent tornado. And I knew, that when I was flushed, and she went on with her human activities, I would be soon forgotten. I was nothing more than an innocent spider, but to them? No. I was stupid, ugly, and useless to the world. And there was nothing I could to do prove otherwise.

forever_dancer said...
May 23, 2009 at 1:35 am:
intresting point of view, but, sorry, im terrified of spiders

jacqsyn said...
May 22, 2009 at 12:27 am:
wow... i agree with 'writebigthinkbigger'. i'll never flush or squish a spider again... i'd feel too guilty! but good story, though. =)

writebigthinkbigger said...
May 21, 2009 at 8:03 pm:
cool! but crap, i'll never think of spiders the same...