It Costed Us Everything | Teen Ink

It Costed Us Everything

By KaitlynKrych BRONZE, South Euclid, Ohio
KaitlynKrych BRONZE, South Euclid, Ohio

There are three things you need to know before you read this. It was 2099. No one remembers what it was like before the fall of our peaceful empire. My sister and I were on our own.

We got attacked by the magic beasts a couple of months ago the killed the group we were with and separated us from our parents. We stumbled into the house we were staying in for the time being. We were hungry, dirty, and tired. The house was quite large. It had two floors and two living rooms. We mainly stayed on the ground floor for fear of drawing the beasts closer with noise. The stairs were very creaky. The house itself was quite old. Erin guessed about 100 years. Whoever owned this house didn’t have it for long before the fall, that’s what we called it. It had so many names, the end of the world, the fall, the apocalypse and so many more.

“Do you think we’ll ever find them?” Erin asked.

“I’m not sure,” I replied.

Truth is I knew the answer. We weren’t ever going to find our parents again. They died. Now Erin didn’t know this but I had magic, which is why our parents were so protective over me, I was magically bound to my parents. Later that night when we were separated from them I felt a tugging on my magic. I remember it like it happened yesterday.

We just got separated from our parents. They told us to run as fast as we could. So we did. We found a house to hide out in and then it happened. I started to feel sick and dizzy. I started swaying and fell down which alerted Erin to my condition.

“Wyatt? Wyatt!” she called frantically.

My vision was gone, I couldn’t hear. I thought I was dead. The pain was unbearable. It hurt so much. She was so relieved when I woke up.

“What happened?” My sister asked.

“I don’t know,” I replied weakly.

When I woke up I was disoriented for a few days. I couldn’t remember where we were or how we got there. Once I recovered, I figured out what it was from. My parents had died. The pain I had felt was their magic being ripped away from mine.  They knew what it was like before the fall. They told us stories of the stars. Those didn’t exist anymore. My sister and I were unfortunately born into this mess. Few people remember what it was like before this chaos came to be. It was supposed to have been beautiful. Huge meadows of orange grass. The twin suns in the sky lined up at noon every day and renewed the magic that flowed all throughout the planet. They told us that our suns were actually binary stars. It was a rare thing. Not many civilizations orbited around a binary star system. I wasn’t like that anymore. One of our suns had exploded into a supernova. The force from the explosion threw us out of our solar system. The only thing that protects us now is the barrier that the old sorcerers put around the planet to protect everyone else from us.

A couple of days later we heard a loud noise from upstairs. I got up to investigate. My sister tried to stop me but I pulled away. We had a big argument yesterday and she said some very hurtful things.

“There you go that’s my story,” the traveler read to his group. “I have advice for those of you that find this. Run. Run for your life. Just run don’t stop. Don’t ever stop and remember one thing: sooner or later they will find you.”

This story is set in a post-apocalyptic world. The main characters are siblings. They are trying to survive in a world where magic has been forgotten and the monsters are trying to secure every last drop they can find.