To Undreamed Shores | Teen Ink

To Undreamed Shores

January 10, 2019
By MaeveAnn GOLD, Berlin, Maryland
MaeveAnn GOLD, Berlin, Maryland
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Words empty as the wind are best left unsaid. -Homer


Silver ripples shone through the ever-changing sea. A young girl, stood on edge of the boat railing clutching her brother’s hand peering into the never-ending waters.

“You’re never going to see one Cerella. They aren’t real.” Her brother taunted.

She pouted and turned her back so she was facing the bow of the ship. For years she had been searching for a mermaid. Every journey upon her father’s boat, “The Scylla” was another opportunity to see one of the foreign scaly-tailed creatures. The messy brown haired boy tried to put his arm around his sister seeing her distress, but she turned away and ran to tattle on him.

Aunt Marley was sitting on the bed when Cerella Insley cracked the door open peering in. She sat there watching until her presence was acknowledged.

“Who is it,” her aunt cried out.

Cerella stepped into the entryway of the small apartment.

“Oh, it’s you. I don’t suppose you’re going to tell me why you are here.”

Cerella stood there pouting gazing up at the blonde women who stood before her.

Aunt Marley sighed. “Haven’t spoken a word since your mother passed and it doesn’t appear like you are going to start now.” She took the pad of paper and pen from off her oak nightstand and handed it to Cerella.

She scribbled diligently on the paper before handing off to be read by Aunt Marley.

“I was looking for the mermaids next to August and he told me they weren’t real. Cerella you the mermaids are simply a figment of your imagination. You’re 12 years old you need to get over your obsession with them.”

Cerella stared at her shiny black shoes, the corners of her mouth bent into a taught frown. The turned around and went to her room.  

Underneath her bed she kept a photo box full of every item she had that reminded her of her mother: A myriad of pictures, a scrap of yellowing lace, the wilted rose petals from her funeral. She spread the pictures out in a haphazard semi-circle around her. 

Plump, shiny tears rolled down her freckled cheeks wetting the neckline of her ditsy floral dress. Her mother, Poppy, always understood. Sometimes it was as if her she believed in them more than Cerella. For as long as Cerella remembered Poppy told her mystical stories of elegant mermaids who found refuge in the sea.

Her favorite one centered around a feisty red-headed mermaid named Cora whom Poppy met while docked at an isolated island. Cora had been eschewed from her tribe because she wanted to ascend the throne after her father instead of her brother Arnold. Despite being six years older, her peers viewed Arnold superior because of his gender.

Poppy and Cora remained in touch until Poppy’s tragic death. Optimistically, Cerella hoped that Cora found her mother’s limp body on the bottom of the murky sea floor.

At the very bottom of Cerella’s box was the last letter she ever received from her mother.

Cerella,

            My heart hurts that I won’t be there to watch you grow up into the wonderful young women I know you will become. Please remember that I love you and will watch over you forever. I didn’t leave this place because of a distaste for you or your brother. Please remind him of that; you know he might forget. Someday I will come back for you.

                                                                                                        Love, Mama

            The weeping girl clutched the worn parchment close to her chest dotting it with tears. Someday she knew the puzzling words her mother left her would make sense. She just hoped it was someday soon.

                                                    ~***~

         Last night the boat docked at Crab Claw cove, just to collect more food and to give their wobbly legs a break from the sea. Cerella sat on a rock bordering a tide pool, her fingers skimming the surface. Deep out at sea, a fin broke through the water, leaving behind tree rings of round circles.

            The young girl’s eyes darted to the movement, squinting to get a clearing view. Curious she stood up gingerly from her rock and waded into the cool water. Up above the sin shone casting dancing shimmer across the surface.

            Just below the surface, a plume of hair appeared, followed by a cluster of popping bubbles. Cerella stepped back farther soaking her dress, for the thing had an uncanny comparison to a human head.

            From higher on the beach, Cerella heard the calls of her aunt, pleading her to come back up to the beach. The boat was leaving soon. Holding up five fingers, she pleaded for a few more minutes to investigate the bobbing thing.

            Knowing she wasn’t getting anywhere Aunt____ seldom went back to the boat and figured Cerella would come when she was ready. 

            Hesitantly, she bent down to touch the swirling hair. Suddenly the thing shot up from the water, splashing rays of water into the air, pelting Cerella’s face.

            “Hi. You’re Cerella?”

            Cerella stared at the women wide-eyed and dazed.

            “I’m Cora. Your mom probably mentioned me.”

            “C-Cora?” Cerella spoke for the first time in many years. Her voice burned at the back of her throat. Relieved to finally express the thoughts that boiled in her mind since the day her mother died. Despite her desire to talk, Cerella wasn’t entirely sure why she didn’t talk. Perhaps it was because she was afraid she would say the wrong thing, and yet another one of her loved ones would leave her behind.

            “She sent me to come  get you.” Cora held a hand out to her revealing, jewel-toned colored scales scattered on her skin. She flapped her turquoise tail on the water.

            Cerella took the hand and dove following the mermaid into the water. She didn’t even look back to see her family on the beach one last time. They hadn’t really loved her anyway.

            Deep in the crisp blue water, Cora led the girl into a trench. Cerella found herself able to take in the cool water and breath as if she was a fish with gills. Once inside the thick of the trench, she saw her mother, complete with a lavender tale.

            Cerella swam into her mother’s arms. Poppy sprinkled some green powder over her daughter’s head and watched as her legs entertained into a shimmering pink tail.

            “I looked forward to the day when you would finally join me.”

            And from that day forward Cora, Cerella and Poppy lived happily as mermaids. Sometimes visiting the neighboring mermaids who lived nearby.

            Aunt Marley told the crew members that Cerella had tragically drowned on the island. Unable to scream for she was a poor mute little girl. Just another Insley girl who died a tragic death. Perhaps one day August would give into the myth. And then he too could join his family in the deep blue tides.