City Dreams | Teen Ink

City Dreams

By KT GOLD, Grand Chute, Wisconsin
KT GOLD, Grand Chute, Wisconsin

The diverse sounds of little birds singing bounced off of each tree, echoing in the early morning sunlight. Light fog dispersed along the ground, escaping out of every crevice, corner, and nook it had taken refuge in during the night. Flowers unfurled their petals and welcomed the beams of sunlight. The forest stirred with its creatures moving about. Workers of ants marched on the forest floor. A herd of deer grazed the morning dew from the blades of grass. Insects buzzed in the otherwise still air.

Amid the floor of the forest, a curious visitor wandered about the roots of the trees. Her two hands ran over the complex and rough textures of the tree bark, feeling the maze in her palms. She felt the smooth glossiness of each leaf using the edges of her fingertips and marveled at the intense patterns of the undersides. She felt a woosh of air above her head and glanced up to see a great red, fiery bird fly above her before darting into a streak of sunlight and disappearing.

The sound of running water caught her attention, and she found herself looking at a babbling brook. She stared in fascination at the water. It was so clear. She could see everything from the tiny schools of fish darting about to the smallest weeds growing underwater. Reaching in, she dipped her finger in only to pull back in surprise. It was cold! She cupped her hands together, collecting some of the water, and took a sip. A smile came to her face. The water tasted pure and fresh! The girl finished drinking the water and stood up.

A slight breeze ruffled the girl’s skirt, and she watched in awe as the tree leaves moved back and forth. Grinning, she grabbed a branch and hoisted herself up a large tree. Only when she could see the sun kissing the tops of the trees did she stop and stare. Never before had she seen such a sight, or such color!

Every assortment of green stretched as far as the eye could see. Bringing a hand up, she shielded her eyes from the bright sunlight. She gasped—the sky was the bluest she had ever seen. Taking a breath and closing her eyes, she breathed in a gulp of clean air. She then yelled in happiness, listening to her voice travel around the forest.

The girl opened her eyes again and stared at the metal ceiling of her dark room. She quickly jumped out of her cot and ran down the colorless hallways. No, it can’t be a dream! she thought. Every breath taken got denser, and she coughed. Seeing the doors, she burst through to be met by dark gray clouds, smog, and endless buildings wherever she looked. The girl fell back, sliding down the door while clutching her head in her hands. Suddenly, a small ray of sunshine burst through the clouds. The girl gazed up with hope and smiled.

Nature would return.

The beauty of nature never ceases to amaze me, especially the beauty of the forests in the Northern United States. It was a major inspiration for this piece. When I started to write this, I asked myself, "What would the world be missing if nature didn't exist anymore?" I used imagery and symbolism thoughout the piece to attempt to convay the relationship between nature and mankind's soul in a world lacking nature's presence. In the end, I really want readers to think about the world that we take for granted and appriciate the natural marvels that we have.