Running

The bottoms of my bare feet were tickled by the grass. The sun was slowly setting, casting shadows over the seemingly never-ending field. The warm orange tinted my skin, just the way I loved, in a way nothing else could. I inhaled deeply, holding my breath as long as I could to keep in the familiar smell. It smelled like, summer. Like grass, and warmth. Like happiness mixed with memories.

I dropped down onto the soft grass, and started picking at the overgrown weeds. I stretched out my legs a shoved aside the knots of hair that covered my eyes. I didn’t want to miss a second of what I was seeing. I wanted all of the memories of so many past summers to come into my mind, one after another.

I would remember this place forever.

A figure was approaching in the distance. I couldn’t make out who it was, but it couldn’t be anyone good. My heart rate sped up significantly, but to anyone else it looked as if I was keeping in control.
My sense for danger kicked in, and sounded alarms saying that I should evacuate. I didn’t want to, but I started to exit the field and headed for the dirt road.
It occurred to me that if danger was seeking me out personally, which it very well could be, then I probably should stay in earshot of what was going on. I wanted to see what would happen.
I darted at an inhuman speed towards the large bush and dove inside it, the prickly needles scratched my exposed arms and legs. I doubt that whoever was out there saw me run into the foliage; I was running at about 200 miles an hour. It was my strength, my ability.

“I will kill you. Kill you!” I knew that voice. Jonah. I stifled a yelp. Why was Jonah here? Who was he going to kill?! Was someone trying to hurt him?
“Sure, kid.” Answered a gravelly voice. “Sure you’ll kill me.” The voice was full of doubt.
“You aren’t going to find her here. Even if you did, she could outrun you.” Jonah protested. I was, momentarily, shocked by his confidence. He couldn’t hurt a fly. But, suddenly, my stomach dropped. They were talking about me. I was the girl that could outrun him. It was me.
I heard footsteps stop.
“H-how do you know that?” Asked the man, his voice wavering. “How do you know that I’m looking for her?”
I could hear the grin in his voice. This was his claim to fame, he loved telling people this. No matter if he was in a life threatening situation.
“I am a seer” He said, not at all modest.
The man was utterly dumbfounded. There were only a handful of seers left in the world. And Jonah was one of them.
It was kind of like he could read peoples minds- but different. He could put himself into their minds; see what they see, hear what they hear, feel what they feel. It made up for his lack of talent in just about anything else.
“Lair.” The man spat, with all the hatred that one word could hold. “Prove it.” His eyes narrowed.
“I have nothing that I need to prove to the likes of you!” Jonah shouted.
And that was my cue.
I ran as fast as my body would let me and grabbed Jonah. I started for the woods that lined the field. I couldn’t tell if I was crying or not, all I knew was that I needed to be far away. I don’t know why they wanted me, but if it made Jonah this angry, I couldn’t be too great.
I glanced down at Jonah’s face. He was terrified. He, nor the stranger, had seen me coming. I was going at too high a speed for any eye to follow.
“Jonah, it’s me.”
“Rebekah?” he queried.
“Yes.”
“I should’ve known. Who else can run this fast?”
I smiled. I loved my running, and he knew flattery would get him everywhere.

“Are you okay?”
“I’m fine.”
“Okay, now fill me in. You saw into that guy right?”
“Yeah”
“Tell me what’s going on.”
“Okay, well I didn’t watch for very long. All I know is that, he is a soarer, and he is searching for you.”
A soarer was someone who could fly very fast. Not fast enough to catch me, though.
“Why does he need me?” I asked, fearing the response.
“You want to know? Ignorance is bliss.” He tried.
“Tell me!” I pressed.
“He wants to kill you.”

dreamer_believerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i love this story! i like how you wrote it. it's a different type of story but its SOOO good! you wrote it really really well...i really like it! you're very good...so keep writing! oh and check out some of my work :)

Like*Whoa!!! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 13, 2009 at 3:01 am:
this is really good...its not the mutant, fly to jupiter and back in two seconds kind of stuff, and thats a good thing:) it is really well written, a few spelling mistakes here and there but none that stopped the story...all in all i really liked it:) ohh and check out some of my stuff <3