The Choice | Teen Ink

The Choice

May 25, 2018
By SamsonCrandall BRONZE, DeLand, Florida
SamsonCrandall BRONZE, DeLand, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The flashlights blinded Amanda throught the trees.  "Stop right there", shouted the voices.

"No more looking back, we need to go", Chase said in a hushed voice.

BEEP BEEP BEEP, Amanda jolted awake to the sound of her alarm clock.  The sun was already shining through the blinds.  It was Friday, payday.  She jumped up, got ready, and she was on her way to the 9-5 job that she hated.  This in inparticular flew by unexpectly fast.  She picked up her paycheck on her way out of the office.  Amanda stepped outside of the glass double doors in front of her office.  The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky.  Today is a good day, Amanda thought.

She jumped in her car and played Lay Me Down by The Dirty Heads on her radio and headed to the bank.  The bank was more crowded than usual.  She walked through the giant wooden doors that led to the lobby, and waited in line to deposite her check.  Tired screeched outside and everyone in the bank quieted down.  Three men with masks kicked open the wooden doors and ran in.

"Everybody on the ground", one of the shouted.  Immediatley everyone dropped.

The leader of the group, from the looks of it, walked leisurely up to the teller.  "How about you let me into the vault and no one gets hurt, alright?"  The teller did what he said. A few people began whispering amongst themselves on the floor.

"Everybody quiet down", one of the men said.  He looked over at Amanda for a brief second.  But that brief second felt like an eternity. His lightning blue eyes met her green eyes.  His eyes said one thing: I'm not supposed to be here.

Amanda understood.  She's beem pressured to do stuff before.  She knew she had to help him.  She motioned him over to her. "So you want to get out of here", she asked.

"How did you-"

"Don't worry about it", she said. "Let's go."

The leader and the other man came out of the vault with their bags filled with cash.  "Chase, let's go."

I-I can't", Chase stammered.  He grabbed Amanda's arm and they bolted through the wooden doors and ran through the parking lot.  Amanda led Chase to her and they both hopped in.

"So, what's your plan, Chase", Amanda asked.

Chase knew she was special.  There had to be a reason Amanda did what she did back in the bank.  He decided it was fate.  "It doesn't matter, as long as I'm with you."

It didn't take long for the authorities to catch the other two men, who instantly gave up who their third acquaintance was.  Although Chase didn't take money or hurt anyone, he was still wanted for armed robbery.  But, Amanda didn't care.  They were meant to be together.  He would do anything for her, and she would do anything for him. 

"So, I guess love at first sight is real", Chase broke the silence.  Amanda blushed, "Shut up and tell me where to go."

Chase gave her directions to a safe house he and the other two men had about 20 miles out of town, a small wooden cabin in the middle of the woods.  "Let's lay low for a little bit and decide what our next move is", Chase whispered.  The sun went down as they planned their next move.  It was about 11:30 at night.

"You should get some rest, I'll take the first watch", he said in a hushed tone.  Amanda didn't realize how tired she was until she laid down.

She was woken up to spotlights flashing through the windows of the cabin and Chase's voice. "Get up. Get up. Get up.  It's time to go."  They jumped up and ran to the back of the cabin.  "In here", Chase whispered.  They went into a bedroom, jumped on top of the bed, and climbed out of the window.

They began running through the woods towards Amanda's car.  The lights were getting closer.

"No more looking back", Chase said.  "We need to go."

They made it to the car.  Amanda ran to the driver's seat while Chase broke the tail lights. "Go, go, go", Chase shouted.  They made it out of the woods and began driving down the worn back roads. 

"We should head west, towards the coast", Chase suggested.  And that was their plan.  They still had many close encounters with the authorites but, the closer they got to the coast, the less they were spotted. 

They were driving through the mountains and they could see the sun slowly rising over the ocean.  Amanda turned on the radio and smiled.  Lay Me Down by the Dirty Heads was playing.  Despite being on the run, neither of them regret the choice they made that day.  They never looked back and they continued to chase the rising sun.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this story when I was presented a project to write a flash fiction story.