Same Difference | Teen Ink

Same Difference

By rinilover2.0 BRONZE, Lorton, Virginia
rinilover2.0 BRONZE, Lorton, Virginia

If you can't live for yourself, live for those who would miss you if you were gone.

Stellatopia was a perfect society with perfect houses, perfect lawns, perfect jobs, perfect landscaping, perfect schooling, and perfect people. Within this perfect society, the families were of four with a mother, father, son, and daughter. The society chooses whom you marry as well as your job, freetime, schooling, and which child you have first.
In this society lived Brandon Hath, the younger brother to Cattie Hath, children of Grant and Felicia Hath. Both parents were in the Child Care Department as Cattie was learning to be just like them.
Brandon was currently in high school in his last year before his assessment to determine his future job. His friends were children of his parents friends, but his best friend was a boy by the name of Victor Dearth.
Victor Dearth was an outcast due to his family working in the Disposal Department, one of the lowest departments to work in. Despite where his family worked, Brandon and Victor grew a great friendship as they both were in their last years. “What’s your dream job?” Victor asked his friend as the two were spending their free time together sitting in a hidey hole within the park.
Brandon shrugged as he looked over at Victor with his rare yet stunning white hair and pure blue eyes that stared back at him. Brandon looked down. “I guess i’ll join my family in the Child Care Department. What about you?”
‘He’s so cute when he looks away from me. His short brown hair always in his hazel eyes. It makes him so much more attractive. Any girl would be lucky to have him as a wife.’ Victor thought with a sting in his heart as he looked away saddened.
“Victor, is everything okay?” Brandon asked. ‘I hope I haven’t upset him.’ He thought.
Victor turned back to Brandon with a smile. “Yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking about how I might end up like my parents. Then you wouldn’t want to be around me anymore.” He was surprised when he was hugged by Brandon. He felt Brandon’s soft brown locks on the side of his face as he breathed in his friends pine scented shampoo. He instinctively hugged him back closing his eyes. The two held each other passing along a secret message within the hug. Neither were going to abandon the other, no matter what job they got. This was their promise to each other.
Weeks passed and Brandon noticed a change in his friend. Whenever they hung out Victor seemed a bit distant almost as if he was trying to avoid Brandon. Brandon wanted to know why, but whenever he brought up the subject, Victor would change the subject and ignore him whenever he tried to bring the subject back up.
“Maybe he finally realized his place in the society?” One of Brandon's female friends said as she sat a bit too close to Brandon. He didn’t like how close they were or the cherry perfume she sprayed on herself profusely.
“Or maybe he just didn’t like being near a prissy girl who covers herself in a fake scent.” Victor said from behind the two.
Brandon turned around with a grateful look that changed to concern as he noticed Victor’s hateful glare at the female in the group. She was in shock, but her expression changed to fear as she too saw the murder in his eyes.
Victor roughly grabbed Brandon’s hand and drags him away. He was mumbling things to himself as he dragged his friend towards their secret place. Once there he pushed his friend into the tree.
“V-Victor, Victor did I do something wrong?” Brandon asked as the two boys were extremely close. Brandon could feel Victor’s breath on his lips as hazel eyes met blue. He looked down with a blush bright on his cheeks.
“You can do no wrong in my eyes.” Victor said softly as his voice was filled with the sweetness of honey. Victor couldn’t hold himself back anymore, seeing his friend in such a vulnerable state, he leaned close and kissed him softly on his lips. He looked to see Brandon's soft hazel eyes widen in confusion till they closed in compliance. He smiled in his mind and closed his eyes as well.
Soon they parted for air as both opened their eyes. Brandon didn’t know what happened, but he knew he liked it. He saw that Victor was walking away and he reached out for his arm and looked at him. “Did you mean it? The kiss,” he asked with confusion and fear.
“I meant it.” He said softly before turning back towards him and kissing his friend again. The two shared multiple small kisses before the warning alarm for kids and teens to go home. “This is our secret.” Victor said before rushing off towards his home.
“Mom, what’s it called if two guys love each other?” Brandon asked his mother as the family ate. It was silent as the others in the room looked at him confused. He continued to eat, but as he noticed the silence, he looked up at his parents confused.
“Son, that’s called being gay and that’s outlawed in Stellatopia. You’re not-”
“No! I was just asking out of curiosity.” He said in defence as the family returned to eating in silence. It was an awkward situation to all of them.
“Son, if you were um...gay...you would tell us right?” His father asked as Brandon was getting into bed. It was silent for a while.
“If I told you, would you disown me or worse?” He gulped not wanting to think about worse. His father hugged him and patted his chocolate curls down.
“No, we would help you get out.” The two remained in a hug sharing a promise between a father and son.
Weeks passed and both Victor and Brandon grew closer. They were sitting in their hidey hole, Brandon laying on Victor with his eyes closed as Victor was petting his hair. Then they heard the sounds of officers outside. “Brandon Hart and Victor Dearth come out with your hands up.” Both boys looked at each other confused and scared for another. The two of them took deep breaths before exiting the hidey hole holding hands. Their faces were confident as people gasped and looked away in disgust at the two. “Boys separate.” They looked at each other and shared a kiss. This action caused an uproar as the two were physically pulled apart. They looked in each others eyes with a promise to get back together and to escape.
Brandon sat in his cell. Both him and Victor were sentenced to time in prison to break the bond that they had, but the two of them knew that their bond, their love, could never be broken. He heard the clinking of keys before he saw his sisters smiling face. “Hello, little brother, it’s time to reunite you with your love.” She then opened the door as Brandon hugged her. “Mother is getting Victor as we speak and Father is waiting for us outside.” She explained to him as the two sprinted down the hall.
“Wait, if they found out you helped me and Victor…” His sister slowed at that and turned towards him with a smile in her eyes.
“You are so much more important to us than you’ll ever know. We’ll die for you, because that’s what family does. Also we may have already broken a rule.” Brandon tilted his head confused by what his sister meant, but she shook her head and grabbed his wrist while continuing to sprint.
The two exited the building to see Victor with Brandon’s parents in the car, but in the backseat was a carseat for a child. “Get in the car, we’ll explain on the way.” The two did just that. “This is Talia, she was born to a family that already had two kids. She’s a twin born. Sadly she was the less satisfactory twin, so Society told us to send her off to the next stage. We saw that she was too precious to send off, so we decided that you two could raise her outside of Stellatopia. There is a nice place where people who are exiled live. I believe you two will be accepted there.” Brandon’s mother said.
Brandon and Victor both looked down at the baby girl with a sweet smile as the child giggled up at them.
They reached the border without any interference as it was the dead of night. Brandon gave his last hugs to his family that loved him as he loved him. They handed Victor a baby bag of supplies for both Talia and the two of them.
Victor took hold of Brandon’s hand as they smiled at each other. Talia rested in Brandon’s other arm. This was the end of their lives in Stellatopia and the beginning of their new lives together as a family.

Trigger warning: Containes homorelationship