Love Works | Teen Ink

Love Works

May 8, 2018
By Anonymous

Macee got out of the shower before school, threw on her basic pair of jeggings and nice top, put her short straight blonde hair into her everyday ponytail and double checked then triple checked she had all her books and homework. She stopped at the post office to drop off a letter and to buy a stamp, like she did every morning. She continued her walk to school and put her headphones in so she didn't have to listen to pieces of everyone's stupid conversations. She kept her head down and made her way to A.P. Calculus BC and sat down studying for the test they were about to have.


Tyler rolled out of bed as usual and threw a shirt on that he found on the ground and didn't even check if it smelled or not. Looked in the mirror and used his hands to rub down the brown flop of hair on his head. He grabbed his backpack which probably still had yesterday's lunch in it and grabbed today’s lunch off the kitchen counter. He made his way to first period in English IV that he was on the verge of failing. After he sat in his seat he was called down to guidance. Tyler’s eyes rolled as he headed for the guidance office.


Macee finished her test first and handed it in with confidence. She knew she was going to ace this one because she studied all night. When Macee sat down, she took out her Physics notes from yesterday and looked them over incase of a pop quiz. The classroom phone rang for Macee down to guidance. Macee checked her calendar and didn't have anything scheduled with her counselor so she was confused.


Tyler was sitting in the office “talking” to counselor. Really he just continued nodding his head as she talked because he zoned out, not caring about another lecture. The only words Tyler heard was at the end when the counselor said, “Tyler, this is Macee Gilardino, your new tutor. You guys will meeting twice a week until we think you can handle it on your own.”


Macee sat in the office waiting for her counselor as she was sweating pellets because she had no idea why she was on here. Once the counselor came in she told Macee to calm down because she knows she works herself up too much.


“I know you’ve been looking for community service hours and with your brains you should put that to use. Tyler Hainsworth is a student in your grade and you might not know him because he takes all the college prep courses. He is currently failing 3 of his 4 classes and about to start failing the fourth. He could use your help if you did this it would be a win win since you could get some hours.”


Macee listened to those words come out of her counselors mouth and hated the idea. She hated tutoring because she shouldn't deal with people who aren't as smart as her nor did she have the time in her busy schedule. All she could do was smile and nod back. She was led into the office next door.


“Macee this is Tyler Hainsworth, the student you will be tutoring twice a week”


Tyler’s head whipped around and looked into her deep brown eyes. Macee looked at the counselor and then down at Tyler since he was sitting in a chair. Macee kept her pearly white shining and Tyler admired her body. Tyler liked her perfect little body and enjoyed the way her clothes fit. At that moment Tyler wasn't going to learn much besides what he wanted to do to her.


Macee stuck her hand out reluctantly to introduce herself and Tyler stood tall with pride and took Macee’s hand firmly.


“Alright guys, back to class for now, we’ll send out a schedule for you guys later in the day.” Tyler showing off his masculinity got ahead of him and tripped on the chair on the way of the office. Macee giggled and quickly covered her mouth with her hand. Tyler jumped up and practically sprinted out of the room. Macee’s shoulders slumped backwards and she went back to class dreading to get her tutoring schedule. Tyler on the other hand sat in his desk, foot tapping and fidgeting all over waiting for the schedule, knowing it meant eventually getting to see that perfect figure again.


Tyler refreshed his emails several times every hour. Around 2:16 that afternoon the email notification finally popped up and Tyler opened it and read the first session would be on Monday, directly at 3:00  in the Library. Tyler knew he wanted to look good so between then and the time school ended he was going to hit the weight room.


Macee checked her phone after work and saw the email and her eyes rolled so far she didn't think they could go that far. She saw the way Tyler looked at her and she didn't like it. She knew she was an attractive young girl so she was used to the attention and she knew Tyler was giving her the same attention. She knew she would just do her job quickly and get out of there. Monday at 3:00 for an hour then she would rush out of there.
Monday came around and when the last bell rang Tyler found his way to the weight room and put headphones on and started lifting. Not watching the time, the minutes went by until it was 3:15 and Tyler was already late for his first session with Macee.


Macee sat down in the library at 3:00 and opened up her notes. She figured he would be late so Macee started studying for her Calc exam. She checked her watch and it was 3:15. Macee sat, tapping her foot, ready to leave because she had other stuff she could be doing than sitting here waiting for Tyler. She packed up her things and started to head out as she was hit with a force that wreaked of B.O.. Macee was startled and irritated while Tyler repeatedly kept apologizing.


“I am so sorry for being late, I lost track of time and sorry for running into you I wasn’t paying attention.”


“Yeah well you seem to be good at that. Let's just get started with the time we have left, I have to leave for work soon.” Macee took her books back out and started talking about her notes. Tyler continued to just stare at her:


“My eyes are up here a**hole! Look if me being your tutor is going to be an issue I will tell the school right now I can’t do this.”


“No no no, I’m sorry I got distracted, I promise I’ll pay attention this time.” In a panic that Macee would hate him Tyler sat straight up, crossed his hands and tried to actually pay attention. His mind continued to drift to things he wanted to do with Macee. Not just sexual things but he actually liked her, she had this thing about her that just intrigued Tyler. Four o’clock rolls around and Macee packs up her things and leaves.


On her way out of the building Macee stops by guidance. She tells her counselor that she this tutoring thing isn't a good idea and doesn't think it’s going to work. She agrees to give it one more shot.


Tyler went home after that told his friend Ben to meet him there to play some basketball. In a game of 1 on 1, Tyler never stopped talking about Macee and asking for advice.


“Alright I guess the only way to get you to shut up is to help. Macee works at the drugstore around the corner from the school. I saw a sign that said they’re hiring. Why don’t you get a job there.” Ben not thinking about what he was saying continued to shoot baskets and Tyler just stood there in awe as he heard this. The next day he went in there and applied, they hired him on the spot since they were so desperate for help.


Tyler made sure he was early for his tutoring session with Macee today to make a better impression, this time he made sure to not smell and have a better appearance to impress her and because he also had his first day of work later on that night.


Macee helped Tyler with his homework and they got through the hour without any MAJOR issues. Macee packed her things for work and when she got there they told her she was training someone new that evening. Macee just got done teaching one idiot, how was she going to deal with another. Around five, Tyler came in with the t-shirt they gave him on. Macee looked up and first only saw the shirt so she started to introduce herself until she got to his face.


“Really, you, you got a job here, here at the one place I work at.” Macee could feel her blood begin to boil. She knew her face was turning red as Tyler just stood there stuttering trying to get out words but it wasn't working. “C’mon I’m incharge of training you so I guess follow me.”


After the exhausting day Macee had, she went home, wrote her letter and went to bed. Tyler called ben about how Macee was mad about him being there.


“She’ll come around dude, just give it time.”


The next day Tyler had to work on his own, and he knew from the beginning it wouldn’t go well because he was to busy drooling over Macee to pay attention to what he should be doing. He kept forgetting how to open the cash register and was giving back the wrong change. Finally the manager yelled at him to go stock shelves and in the process he broke some glass and spilled an entire water jug.


Later on in the week when Macee came to work for her shift she immediately started getting yelled out for Tyler’s mistakes since she was the one who trained him. After getting yelled at and embarrassed for five minutes, Macee ran to the bathroom fuming. She called her best friend Ava,


“He’s ruining my life, why does he have to do this, I never wanted to tutor him in the first place and now he’s working with me and I get all the s*** for him being a crappy worker. It isn't fair Ava, people always have to get in the way. I wish Blake was home, he would know how to help.”


Tyler heard Macee through the bathroom door and walked away before hearing the last part. He decided he didn’t want to hurt her anymore so he handed his apron and walked out of the store before she could see him again. Tyler decided to stop by Ben’s on the way home to ask for advice.


“She hates me, I ruined any chance I had with her. I was over here thinking with the wrong with the wrong head that I lost track of the goal in mind.” Tyler plopped his face in his palms and looked like a lost puppy
Ben offered the best advice he could: “Apologize to her dude, there's no way to undo the past but saying you're sorry is a start.”


Tyler and Ben went back to his room after that to play some video games so Tyler could take his mind off the days events and they could come up with a good apology together. When Tyler got home he typed up the message and sent it to Macee, thinking she had enough time to cool down.


Around 8:00 that night, Macee’s phone lit up and hoping it would be a text from Blake, it was a disappointment when they name that appeared was Tyler. Macee put her phone back down and didn’t read the message until a couple hours later when she finished her homework. The message read :


Hey Macee, I just wanted to start off by saying I’m sorry about what happened at work today. It was completely my fault and I was an idiot for getting a job there in the first place. I just wanted a reason to spend more time with you and instead of being a gentleman I was a do*che and forced myself around you. I’m sorry for being a stupid boy around you and I hope we can remain friends or at least I hope you will continue tutoring me because I think I can really learn  something from you. Again I’m sorry.


Macee didn't know what to say. She never thought she would see the day that Tyler sucked in his pride and manned up for his mistakes. She gave him props for that and decided she would continue tutoring him if he promised that he would actually do the work instead of staring at her chest 50% of the time. Tyler agreed and thanked her a million times.


Over the course of the next few weeks, Tyler began actually care about his grades or at least act like he did. He seemed as if he was doing a lot better and him and Macee actually became friends. Macee realized they have some stuff in common and actually enjoyed being around him.


“Hey Ty, I forgot to tell you, I need to reschedule our session for next week. My boyfriend is coming home from basic training in the army and I promised we would go out on a nice date.” When Tyler heard the words ‘my boyfriend’ he felt his heart sink to his feet. Trying to act normal he pushed out a ‘That’s fine.’ and continued working on his homework, well at least try to. At this point he couldn't focus and was so confused to why he never knew Macee had a boyfriend or to why she never mentioned it.


Macee started getting ready for her date with Blake and she was so excited to see her new transformed man. She would write him everyday and sometimes he would be able to send her a quick text if he was able to sneak his phone away for a couple minutes. Macee curled her hair and put on some makeup. Staring at herself in the mirror she knew tonight was going to be amazing. When she heard the doorbell ring she ran down the stairs almost falling. She swung open the door jumped into Blake’s arms. The hug didn't feel as tight as normal but she shrugged it off and went to dinner.


At dinner, Macee felt Blake acting distant and cold and she could usually read him like a book but she just had no idea what was going on so she asked him:


“Hey Babe, what's going? You’ve seemed cold since you got home,” Blakes head shot up and he tried to form words but he just didn't know what to say. “C’mon babe, you can tell me anything…” Thats when Macee got what she was asking for but not what she wanted to hear.


“I cheated on you, I love you too much to keep this from you and I just didn't know what to do. I’m so sorry, I was alone for so long and I’m a guy, I have needs. She meant nothing to me and I regretted it as soon as it happened.”


Macee didn't want to hear anymore. She stood up, threw her drink in his face and walked out of the restaurant with her head held high. She wasn't going to let any boy make a fool of her, well at least not in public because as soon as she got home, she broke down screaming and crying. She trusted Blake to not hurt her and he did. So now what, she thought, she felt lonely. She called Tyler because she knew he could always make her laugh.
Macee and Tyler were on the phone all night as Tyler tried to comfort her. Tyler thought this was his chance since there was now nothing standing in the way. Tyler met Macee by the doors of the school the next day, he offered to walk her home and she agreed. Macee felt comfortable and safe. Until they reached home when Tyler was standing really close and he leaned in to kiss her. Macee quickly backed away and said:


“Tyler, I’m sorry but I’m not ready for this, I uh gotta go now.” She quickly ran away and just acted like the whole situation ever happened. She didn't see Tyler again until the next week when they had another tutoring session. By that point, Macee had pushed the whole situation so far out of her head she actually forgot about it until Tyler brought it up again.


“Hey, I’m really sorry about what I did last week, it was inappropriate and I should have never done. But I did want to ask you something in hopes you would forgive me for what happened. I was wondering if you would want to go to prom together, but strictly as friends. I promise I won’t try anything.”


Macee smiled, she liked the idea of having Tyler as he friend again and she knew she would have fun with him. “Yes Tyler I would love to go with you, but ONLY as friends, I mean it.” Both Macee and Tyler were smiling and couldn't wait for prom in a few weeks. They talked it about the whole time in the weeks approaching.


The night of, Macee spent forever getting ready and wanted to make sure everything was perfect. Tyler was waiting for her at the front door with a flower in his hand. When Macee came down the stairs, Tyler was stunned by her beauty. They took some pictures and left for the dance. Tyler and Macee were on the dance floor together when a slow song came on. Macee went to go sit down when Tyler lightly grabbed her hand and asked her to dance. Macee agreed and with each footstep they got closer, until they were face to face. They could feel each other breathe on the others face, you could probably cut the tension with a knife. Until finally the magnetic pull in their lips pulled them together and Tyler and Macee shared their first kiss together. Fireworks went off and you could see sparks fly. Then they lived Happily Ever After.


The author's comments:

cute romantic teen story