The Legend of Hellfire | Teen Ink

The Legend of Hellfire

November 30, 2017
By Jesyke SILVER, Hemet, California
Jesyke SILVER, Hemet, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Long before the great war, before Elves and Man stood side by side. When dragons roamed the earth, each kingdom fought for themselves. Each race loathing the other. Though they all had one thing in common; their beliefs. They believed in the same gods, same deities. They believed in angels and demons. Magic was used freely. Most practiced it, but few truly could harness it's power.
A human prince, known as Thane, was the best swordsman in the lands. He led and won many battles, fighting with his sword Hellfire. During a hunting trip, he stumbled upon a young woman. Her silver hair lay around her pale face, leaves and twigs covered her. Barely clothed and unconscious, he took her back to the castle. When she finally awoke, she told him all she knew was her name; Harmony. Her memory was taken. By whom, no one knew. Thane offered to have her stay in the castle until she was healthy. Many said that she was an angel, sent by the gods for some reason beyond their comprehension. Thane cared for her and kept her company throughout her stay and over time a relationship grew stronger and stronger. Until one day, Thane confessed his love for her, thrilled to have the feelings returned. They were married the following month.
One night, less than a year later, there was an attack on the kingdom. An army lay outside their walls. Thane prepared himself for the battle ahead. As he grabbed Hellfire, Harmony took his hand and begged him not to go. He silenced her worries with a kiss and promised he would return to her and their unborn child, that he had only learned of days before.
The battle raged on for hours. Thane fought harder than ever. Finally, he came across the General to the invading army. Thane challenged him to a duel, one on one, to end the bloodshed. He accepted. Harmony stood watching the fight from the balcony of their shared room. Tears streamed down her face, in silent sobs. Her memory came flooding back to her in that moment. Harmony sprinted from where she stood. Below, the battle was heated. Swords slashed, blood spilled, and finally a champion arose, but at a dire price. Thane stood holding his bloody sword, and stared at the body in front of him, head cut clean off, and arm outstretched; the man's sword imbedded in Thane's chest. The enemy ran, retreating to whence they came. Harmony ran to her fallen husband and cupped his bloodied cheek. Harmony begged him to stay, as tears flowed from her eyes. She told him she remembered everything. Who she was, where she came from, what she could do.
Harmony was no angel, but to most, as close as they come. Her kind were known as the Phex. Powerful magic users, that were capable of unimaginable things, though they dedicate their lives to peace. Many considered them higher beings. Harmony was one of the most powerful Phex who was being hunted by Mage Hunters before Thane’s hunting party scared them off.
She held her dying husband in her arms. Thane quieted her cries and wiped the tears from her face. His eyes started to close and his hand went limp. She screamed in agony with his final breath. In her grief, she expelled a powerful shockwave of magic to cast one final spell. Harmony took Thane's soul and linked it to his sword, Hellfire. This allowed her lover's soul to live on forever, and grant whoever wields it immortality. The enchantment was one of the hardest to cast, for it took energy beyond any normal human. She laid her head down on the bloody chestplate of Thane and closed her eyes for the last. Legend says that her body dispersed into the wind like dust. The sword was taken and sealed away with Thane's body in the crypt. Never to see the light of day again. Or so legend says.


The author's comments:

The was originally some world and character background for a storyline. I ended up scrapping it al together but still liked this story and rewrote it to fix some issues, as well as adding some more substance top it all together. Thank you for reading!