Life and Death | Teen Ink

Life and Death

November 29, 2017
By K.M.Woods SILVER, No Where, Pennsylvania
K.M.Woods SILVER, No Where, Pennsylvania
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not pity the dead, pity the living and above all those who live without love." -Albus Dumbledore


One day, as Death guided his daughter’s hand over a young couple in the park, he saw a mysterious light.It seemed to smile at him.Death, for fear of putting out the light, told his daughter, Love, to go and speak with the strange being.A few moments later Death saw Love leaving with her small hand wrapped around the light’s now outstretched hand.It would be many years before Death would see his daughter again.His days became long and his memories of Love became wrinkled.One day, many years later, Death felt a familiar hand grip his own.Love had finally returned to him.

“Dad, I want you to meet someone”, whispered Love to Death. Together they turned and met the strange light from all those years ago.“This is Life.” Love stated. “She has been teaching me and guiding my gift.” Death could finally see the being inside of the light. Life smiled at Death as if greeting an old friend.Death took Life by the hand and led her to a secluded spot.There, they perched on a large rock by the water.Life and Death talked for days, as they both had the time.Love was not far away. Without hesitation, she cast her hand over Life and Death.The two fell for each other instantly and embraced tightly.But the longer that Death held Life, the more her light faded.

Death quickly released Life.He grew sad because he now knew that they could never be together.And so Life and Death went their separate ways, sending letters to each other through Love.Because Death is nothing without Life.


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired by a writing prompt that a good friend of mine sent me on a Monday night at 9 pm just because I was bored.(Thanks, Bekah!) I didn't think that anything would become of the prompt or that I would write the story that I did, but I really very truly love this story. It sheds light on the possibility that maybe Death isn't such a bad guy and that maybe he is just looking for his lost love. It also shows that Life is a teacher and a lover, not just one or the other. I hope that you enjoy this story as much as I enjoyed writing it!