Autumn at McKinley | Teen Ink

Autumn at McKinley

April 3, 2009
By kylove GOLD, Sacramento, California
kylove GOLD, Sacramento, California
11 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Principles only mean something if you stick by them when they're inconvenient,"
- Laine Hanson (Joan Allen) in The Contender (written by Rod Lurie)


Derrick Lawerence. Everday in the last two weeks before autumn I saw him in McKinely Park lying in the autumn leaves, wearing a gray sweat jacket with blue jeans and brown shoes.

There was no question of whether or not I liked Derrick, just how much. He was so cool. I had seen him during school, walking around with his friends. Sometimes I'd catch his eye but he would just look away. I wanted to make my move at the park but I wasn't sure what I should do...
-----------------
Kimmy Pham is probably the cutest girl at Grant High School. But she doesn't know I exist. We hang out in very different circles. We're barely even linked to each other. My friend's girlfriend's brother is her sisters friend's cousin. We hung out with each other and our friends once.

She was really shy and she kept on blushing. Before sophomore year started I saw her everyday in the park. I think she was hanging out with Camilla Lewis, or someone else. My parents had kicked me out because I had refused to go to summer camp and all of my friends were going out of town.
I would've gone somewhere else but I wanted to see her...
----------------
I tried to get the courage to talk to him but I never did. All I could do was stare at him. I think he knew it but he wasn't sure. If he liked me he would've come over to talk to me, right? Camilla talked to me all the time but it didn't really work the way it was supposed to.

I was expecting him to remember that she had been there the time I had gotten with his friends and my friends. He would come over, we would talk, and then live happily ever after. But I guess life isn't like that.

I'm back at school now. I see him occasionally still but we don't look at each other longingly. Reflecting back on it, I'm sure he did like me. But no matter what happens in the future, I'll always remember our autumn at McKinley.