Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

snc947 said...
I absolutely loved it! The strong message at the ending was wonderful.

jaquetem said...
Oh my gosh, this was wonderful. I wish i could write like this!

ѕтоямιε.♥ said...
Oct. 31, 2009 at 9:39 am
amazing. wow. brilliant. fantastic. so true!! loved it!!

auna123 said...
i love it its amazing your so right. people are people all the same. you might look different, act different, or just your different. people shouldn't judge cuz it takes one to know one. i love how you express that in this piece.

MayaChristine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Absolutely awesome, and totally right.

legolas_elf said...
Oct. 28, 2009 at 11:10 am
Great message, I love this peice. It's really good and has a much needed message in it.

EmmaXoxo<3 said...
Oct. 28, 2009 at 6:11 am
Amazing!!! Very powerful message!!!
Keep writing! :)

free 2 write said...
Lovely simply lovely. I love the last line. Very strong.

TheseEyesThatSeeTheWorld This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. That was very good. I liked it, excellant message.

purpleheart said...
Wow! This is great the message is amazing. Beautifully written! Wow!

Kit Kat said...
Wow that was soo good, i liked the quote!!

windblossom said...
Wow! its wonderful! it reminds of a folk song which when roughly translated means, god created colour to make things beautiful. like when u look at a rainbow, its made of so many different colours but it is a rainbow because all of them are together! so colour even in the human race was meant to make things beautiful just like the rainbow! :)!

AquariusSun&Moon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 6, 2009 at 10:18 am
I love this story so much. Truly beautiful!

Zero_K This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you!!!! <(n.n)> The site won't let me access your page for some reason, but I would love to read something of yours.
-Blessed Be!
+++ZERO+++

AquariusSun&Moon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yeah, for some reason clicking on the persons name doesn't do anything :-/ I actually just had my first picture published in the September issue so if you look under this months pics and click on the picture "Jaszy" you can view my work. :)
I'm actually looking at all of your poems and stories and rating them so if your email inbox is filled up with 'someone rated your poem' that would be me ;)

kookoodood said...
I'm so proud. This is absolutely beautiful and I couldn't be happier for such a wonderful writer and beautiful person. Hit me up on Facebook!!! XD

elvinchangling55 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love it!! i was in a similar, though not nearly as drastic situation, the emotions felt very real. i love the ending its beautiful.

LaylaViolet said...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 9:51 am
Totally awesome! Congrats on making the mag! :P Check me out; I wanna be in mag 2! :)

THeather73 said...
What a talented young writer, the world needs more like you!! Love the title

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
OMG I JUST NOTICED IT WAS IN THE MAGAZINE!!!! GREAT JOB YOU DESERVE IT@