Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

jatz318 said...
This is really an amazing story. I love it!

<3::wish4wings::<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 24, 2009 at 10:07 am:
that last line was my absolute favorite. ur an amaaaazing writer. i love this:)

halo<3XOXO This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 24, 2009 at 10:03 am:
This was simply incredible! I loved every bit of it!

EdytD said...
Fantastic; the last line truly leaves the reader thinking. Even though it seems a bit over-exaggerated w/ the gun, it definitely portrays the racism that, unfortunately, many feel. Great job!

dule_91 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love this...I was also wondering when you commented on my story 'Restless soul', you said you have a story The Faceless girl and I can't find it xD

Ethershine said...
Simple and straightforward, short sentences, not too much work on the reader's part, but you give your message beautifully and powerfully. Nice job.

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job and great last line!

reader:) said...
I love it. It is extrordiniary and beautifully written.

darkprincess said...
that was amazing. very well done...

darkprincess replied...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm :
i'm glad you've posted your opinion but it was very unnecessary....

emjay1216 said...
that. was. beautiful. im speechless. wow.

evie_girl_novelette445 said...
Wow . . . so beautiful! Made me so sad when I read the last sentance. :( Great writing, I read this again and again!

purplegiirl24 said...
ii LOVE iit. amazing piece.

Rachel_Beth said...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:25 am:
I loved it. i can relate. beautiful story!

writergirl22 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
that was really good! i really liked it.

Laura J. said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 1:29 am:
Absolutely gorgeous! I loved it; keep up the great work...."Laundry is the only thing that should be seperated by colour"....seriously; that's pure genius

BookAddict said...
Love this, you so creativley incorrperated new and fresh presentations of old ideas. Keep it up!

coffeebean101 said...
i like this (:

MRS.ROCHE said...
this was so good. i love the message you left.. it was so right. Im mixed and my boyfriend is all black. color doesn't matter its who that person is inside

rain-rain111 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So sweet and heart filled! I like the message she lft her parents.