The Love Potion | Teen Ink

The Love Potion

By jckaikai BRONZE, Arcadia, California
jckaikai BRONZE, Arcadia, California

DINGGGG!!!...DINGGGG!!!...DINGGG!!! UHHHHHHHH! That's what I wake up to every day, the continuous ringing of our village clock tower, signaling everyone to start their day. The builders start building, miners start mining, barracks start training, and wizards start brewing. My village is located in a magical land named Arbadia, in this land, there are mystical creatures and lots of magic. Every village in the land of Arbadia has a King and a Queen, they have to watch over the village’s well being. I am the King of the Village named clashers, we have become one of the biggest and strongest village in the country. I am in charge of setting up our defense so we don’t get raided by other villages. My Wife the Queen is In charge of the training of our army consisting of Archers, barbarians, goblins, wizards, giants, golems, dragons and so on. There has been a bit of talk lately about how ENDER The Destroyer of Villages is planning to raid our village and take all our loot and supplies. The thought of it sends shivers down my back, but I believe that my defense will be able to hold up against his dark army and that my queen can lead my army to victory. I have my miners working at full throttle so we can get enough gold to be able to upgrade our outer walls to slow the enemies down so we have time to fight back and stop them before they reach the center where all the loot is held. We’ll then now we should go check up on my Queen and see what she’s doing. I was once told that my wife was such a good combat instructor that she was able to train a skeleton flesh to flesh combat, but then again she told me that herself. When I reached the arena my wife was teaching her intermediate adult dragon class how to breathe fire. She said “ In through the mouth and out through the nose!” which was really confusing to me so I decided not to talk to her, and that I should go somewhere else. I’ve been realizing recently that my wife doesn't show me the affection that she used to, so I went down to the spell factory and talk to the wizard. The wizard was a saggy little man with a long beard. Something that confused me about him was that he churned his spells in a cauldron using a long wooden spoon, I always thought that only witches do that. When I reached his factory I stood at the door till he realized I was there. Startled by me he asked “What do you want my kind king?”, I told him that I didn’t want anything and he looked at me meticulously and said “I can see that your soul is very shaky and that something is bothering you.” well since he figured me out I decided to share him the details of my love life. After hearing my story he gave me a contemplating look, so I asked him if there was anyway to fix it. He said, “I can make you a potion that will make her love you, but when it wears off she will despise you.” I being such a magnificent king didn’t hear the second part and told the wizard to brew the spell immediately. The wizard finished brewing the spell capped it in a vial and handed to me prudently, and said: “To make the spell work you must make her smell it.”. I thought to myself, that's easy enough and said bye to the wizard and walked out. I was headed towards the arena with the vial in my hand when I thought of a brilliant idea. Why let her smell it when I can just let her smell me, so I just spilled it all over myself. I patted myself on the back and then continued my walk back to the arena. When I almost reached the door to the arena I heard a lot of shuffling behind me so I took a peek, and to my amazement, I saw at least have the village behind me. I asked “Why are you guys following me?” they replied in unison “Because WE LOVE YOU!!!”. I was again confused, so I ran into the arena and locked the door behind me. I turned around and found my wife in the middle of the arena, she was teaching her advanced lethal barbarian class. I slowly walked up to her and she turned around and faced me, her eyes wide with love. She said “Oh, honey I love you so much!” and I said “I love you too!” her barbarians students slowly crowded us and stared at me the same way my wife was. My wife asked me “What do you want me to do for you, honey?” I told her I wanted a nice dinner and she replied “Anything for my King.”. As we retreated to our house in the middle of the village, half the villagers followed behind and I could hear the murmurs of them saying “Oh, what a handsome King.” or “What a lucky woman the queen is.”. When we reached our house we ran inside and locked the door, and my wife stared at me and gave me a kiss. After we finished eating dinner my wife and I went to sleep. Crackle!!!!Crackle!!!Crackle!!! I woke up to the smell of ashes and the sound of wood burning. I looked around and realized that the room was on fire and slowly the flames were crawling onto the bed sheets. I tried to escape, but my arms and legs were tied to the posts of the bed. Outside I could hear people chanting “ KILL THE KING!!!! KILL THE KING!!!”, I was confused and scared and the flames were slowly crawling up the ropes tying me to the bed. When the ropes almost finished burning I yanked all four of my limbs as hard as I could and snapped the ropes. I made a run for it and jumped off the balcony into a crowd of people, they seemed alright at first, but then people started grabbing me all over, yanking my hair, pulling my ear and biting my fingers. I made a dash for it and ran to the spell factory to talk to the wizard. When reached the factory I ran in and slammed the and locked it. The old saggy man was sitting on his stool churning his spells, I cried out “Why is everyone trying to hurt me?” the old man turned around slowly and looked and me and scolded “Don’t you remember what I said about what would happen after?” I slowly recalled what he said and asked him “ Is there anyway to fix it?”. He felt his beard and contemplated a while and finally said “ NO!” I lost all hope and was ready to walk out and let them have me, but then he said: “You can just wait a few hours and the spell will wear off.”. I was so furious at him that I charged and the saggy little man. Like muscle memory, he grabbed a vial from his shelf and he tossed the content at me and I blacked out. When I woke up I was in the middle of the street,  it was pitch black and really silent. I walked home and to my surprise, my wife was already sleeping in our bed. I limped over to the bed and plopped myself onto it and closed my eyes. I thought to myself that I should never try to control anyone's feelings ever again.

This is for a class assignment.