Unfocused | Teen Ink

Unfocused

By Katie01 BRONZE, Newmarket, New Hampshire
Katie01 BRONZE, Newmarket, New Hampshire

Were there people that cared about me? Are they as scared as I am?
I was ready to get going when I woke up. Today might be a good day, hopefully. I took a step outside the room to explore. After glancing around, I spot the man who I have seen a lot of recently. He looks peaceful, sleeping on the couch. I must seem weird, I think, as I look around more. I spot some pictures on the wall and walk over. One picture is of a couple. A younger version of the man is there with a girl and they’re staring into each other’s eyes.
Why do I feel so lost? It feels like I don’t have anything or anyone...
“Hey,” I jump as I hear the man’s voice. He must’ve walked over while I was looking.
“I’m sorry, I was just exploring around and noticed these,” I say, pointing to the pictures. Now I had turned around to face him behind me.
“It’s fine,” he answers, but I was too busy staring into his eyes to notice. There was something about them. Maybe I already knew these eyes. I’ve looked into them like the girl in the picture...
Realization hit me harder than a rock. I am that girl. This is my Alexander. How couldn’t I notice before? I blame it all on myself but I see his eyes again and I remember, everything.
“Alexander, I remember!” Fully aware that I was yelling. Seeing us, here together, made me realize I didn’t feel lost anymore.
His eyes show just how happy he was as he pulls me into a tight hug and says barely audible words but I hear ‘I missed you’.
“I missed you too,” I whisper back, and it’s right here, that I felt at home with him because it knew he wouldn’t let go.
This is where my family was all along. Today was a good day after all.