Me Before You part 3 | Teen Ink

Me Before You part 3

By Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas

"What about second breakfast?" - Pippin from Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
"Broken isn't the same as unfixable." - Jacin from the Lunar Chronicles

Wrinkles crease his brow matching the tactical map in front of us. We've been at this for hours and yet no plan has come to mind. Warren has played out every possibility, and there is little chance we can win this if Vixon has done what we all fear. My gut screams this is all my fault, but I refuse to listen. I warned him many times this was going to happen. He should have walked away in the beginning. Then why did you let him come back? I flinch at the voice in my head. Ever since I woke up alone on the beach I couldn't get this voice out of my head. Ever since I knew I crossed the point of no return. By that time he had known my deepest betrayal and I had lost him forever. Shaking my head of the dark thoughts I focus back on the map.
"Vixon will come from this tree line with probably a thousand other angels." Warren moves the piece designated for Vixon across the map aligning it with the tree line.
"What if he doesn't come with angels?" Warren looks at me daring me to continuing down that line. We all fear what he will actually bring with him. Magira stiffens beside me, her body going rigged. Black takes over her eyes, and I glance at Warren. Stress wears his features thin at the thought of another vision. Part of me wonders if she was worth the trouble tracking down.
"The light will be destroyed creating a new darkness. The world will suffer at the hands of the new age of chaos." Confused I fold my arms and stare at Magira waiting for an explanation. When her eyes finally fade back to blue Warren gives words to my silent demand.
"And what on this green earth was that supposed to mean?" Magira has never given us a prophecy before. She has always just told us what she sees. Unless.....no he wouldn't have.
"The boy has doomed us all."

The air feels frigid as it slices through the mountain side. Little of me is happy about leaving the sunny beaches. I'm meant to be in the sun not hiking up a blasted mountain. As I climb yet another incline I remind myself why I'm doing this. Miguel. My gut twists and turns like a snake at just the thought of his name. How I have failed him. None of this would have happened if I had just done what I was told. If I had just killed Nikki the minute I saw her I would have been saved a lot of heart ache, and Miguel would still be here. My thoughts wander back to the day of my choosing ceremony. Electra in her bright gown holding my knives in her hands. Everybody watching me as I made my way up the aisle.
"You have been chosen to be the warrior of the Light. Do you accept this honor?" The goddess's voice was like a beam of light strong, but warm and soothing.
"I do." My whole body began to shake, as if an earthquake was splitting me apart.
"Than I, goddess of the Light grant you the power to defend my people. May the light cast a path for you."
Coming back to the present I stare down the path that lies in front of me. Was this what the Light had planned for me? Taking a deep breath I continue up the path. The further I went the darker it got. The sun disappeared behind trees and rock. The wind grew more determined to blow me off the mountain side. I'll have to hurry if I'm going to make it there in time. The man's words ring through my head.
"The darkest peak, will say goodbye to the light. There you will find the answer you seek." As cryptic as always. I just hope I'm hiking up the right mountain. As I pull myself up onto a ledge the sun casts an eerie glow on the entrance of a cave. Blood soaks the rocks, and bones litter the ground. Peachy, not only have I gotten the wrong mountain, but I'm going to get eaten alive as well. Sliding into a fighting position, I glance around outside. The sunlight rest at the edge of the cave, and something inside me starts to tug at me. Beckoning towards the cave. Drawing my knives I stalk into the cave; holding my breath when the light fades behind me. My skin tingles as I call upon the light, casting a luminescent glow on the walls. Almost immediately I regret my actions. The blood and gore on the walls is enough to make the cruelest demon gag. Choking down the bile I trudge down the path. What feels like hours later a wind blows through blasting dirt into my eyes. A poof like a lighter being ignited catches my attention, and one by one lights appear around a cylindrical space. My gaze falls to the birdbath in the middle of the room. Okay so maybe his cave belongs to a really strange exotic bird who has a random birdbath. Like a shadow a hooded figure moves into the light. Sucking in a breath I brace myself for a fight.
"You did not come here for a fight. Put that light away." Confused by the raspy cheese grater of a voice i hesitate. With a snap the hooded figure extinguishes my light. Gasping I stumble backwards.
"Who are you?" The cloak falls to the ground showing a lady. Okay that was unexpected. Staring at her black gown I notice it floats and moves like its fog. Or darkness itself. Her pale hair flows down her back cascading down like Repunzel's.
"I know what you're here for Vixon. What you seek is not easy to acquire." Her voice now as smooth as the wisps of darkness around her, scares me more than her previous voice.
"If you know so much about me you must know I will do anything to get revenge." A smile appears on her lips like the sliver of the moon peaking out of the clouds.
"She betrayed you so, do you really wish to pay the ultimate price?" Ignoring her concern I take a step towards the birdbath. Watching the water swirl in the basin.
"It's because she betrayed me so that I need this."
With a sigh she joins me by the birdbath.
"You know by choosing this you are turning your back on your own people. Tossing aside your title. You home." My chest tightens like a ton of bricks fell on me, but I didn't have a choice. I had to do this.
"It doesn't matter anymore. She took that all away from me."
"Very well." The lady turned away from me, and I watched as she mixed up this weird concoction of things. After the third suspicious item I turned away. The smell of copper fills the air and I try not to gag. I really hope I don't have to drink that. As she turns back she dips the chalice in the water. With a smile she offer it to me.
"Drink and become what you desire." A dry laugh escapes my lips as I take hold of the cup. What I do for you Nikki. Down the contents I try to not think about what I just did. Handing the cup back to her I wait for what I suspect will be a painful experience. It always is in the movies anyways. Almost like clockwork the pain hits me in the stomach making me double over. Everything turns into a blur of smoke and pain. I can hear the lady speak but no words enter my brain. All the memories of Nikki flash through my brain. When we first met at the library. The moment I kissed her at the park starting this whole mess, the night I shot Dylan with a bullet meant for her. The night on the beach. Every memory burns through me like a hot coal. Screams fill the cavern, and then like the break of day the darkness is gone. But something feels different. I feel different. As I stand darkness swirls around my feet. All of my emotions swirl together making a whirlwind of confusion and anger. I can no longer feel the light inside of me. All I feel is darkness. And hatred.
"Vixon, I now grant you the power of the abyss. No longer will are you of light but of darkness. But even the darkness will fear you're name. Go, son of the abyss. Destroy."
A grin spreads across my face, and all I can think is how sweet her death will be.