IT STARTS WITH A BALL | Teen Ink

IT STARTS WITH A BALL

Bam…bam…bam… I heard someone is bouncing a ball at the basketball court in the park. I was wondering who will be playing a ball in the midnight in this cold weather. I went to the court as to see who is playing there. I saw a boy who I bet is around my age is trying to score by throwing the basketball into the net. I watch him from afar so he will not realize that I am here. His skills are terribly bad. I feel really pity for this boy. Yeah I know, maybe you guys think that I just only know how to complaint but actually I am pretty good in this sport. Not to mention but I am the ace in this sport but no one knows about it since I am a girl and there is no space for me in my school to show my potential in this sport.

Can’t bear with the awful skills that he has, I walk towards him. ‘You really have a bad skill in basketball, right?’ said me to him. He seemed to be shock with my question and quickly turn around to face me. “You think?” he asked me back. I take the ball from him and throw it into the net and BAM! I score a goal. I grin proudly at him. He seemed to be surprise with my action just now. All of a sudden, he asks my name. “Jane and you are?” said me to him. “Ben. Nice to meet you, Jane.” said Ben to me. “Why are you here?” asked Ben. “Just take a walk in the park.” answered me. “And why are you here too?” asked me to Ben. ‘Like you saw just now, play the basketball.” said Ben. “In the midnight?” I asked him back. “Same question for you, Jane, take a walk in this park in the midnight, alone?” said him. ‘Just leave it.” said me to him as I don’t want to answer his question and I turn around as I want to go back home.

Suddenly, Ben calls my name when I am about to turn around. I turn to him and give him my questioning look. He asks me if I could teach him to play basketball. I think for a while and I agree to teach him but in three months only. I said to him to meet me at this basketball court tomorrow in the morning. He just nods with my words and I walk back to my home. Tomorrow, when I arrive there, he has already started to make some practice. I walk towards him and start to teach him. He asks me many things about myself. I answer all his questions and ask him some too. After we have practised together for two weeks, I think that I have got comfortable with him.

After three months, Ben finally has become a skillful basketball player. I am really proud with him but I also feel a little bit sad as my task to teach him has come to the end. On our last practice day, Ben thanks me and gives me a hug. I am really surprised at first but I hug him back. It feels really nice to hug him. I tell him that we will not meet again as I will transfer to the Australia with my family as my father has to work there. Ben looks so shock with it. “Is that why you want to teach me only for three months?” he asked. “No, actually a day after we met, I supposed to transfer to the Australia but I ask my parents to let me stayed with my aunt for three months as I had promised to teach you. Fortunately, my parents let me stayed but a day after the three months I have to go to the Australia immediately.” answered me. “But why you agree that you want to teach me?” asked Ben. “I don’t know but I have this feeling that I have to teach you or to be exact I want to know you more.” answered me. “Do you want to know something June?” he asked me suddenly. “What is it?” I asked him back. “I love you, June.” said him. Before I could say anything, he kisses me on my lips. I am really surprise but I relax myself and respond to his kiss.

After our lips apart, I tell him that I love him too. His face shows that he is really surprise with my confessions but not long after that, his face changes to be so happy. I tell him in the worried tone that our relationship must be hard as it is a relationship in long distance. He comforts me and tells me that we will make it.
After five years we stayed apart, Ben come to the Australia with his family. I am really happy with it. They will live in the Australia and their house is in the same neighborhood with me. I feel really glad and excited to meet Ben again. Finally, I can meet Ben face-to-face. When Ben hugs me, it feels really nice and I like it. It has proven that our relationship can still stay although in the long distance and take a long time. For us, no matter what happens, we will still love each other.

THE END