I'm Counting On It | Teen Ink

I'm Counting On It

By g_yargo BRONZE, Campbell, Ohio
g_yargo BRONZE, Campbell, Ohio

I sometimes wonder if I'll ever see him again, because I so desperately want to. He made me feel breathlessly beautiful and effortlessly individual and direly important,and all because he took a moment to acknowledge my existence, which is a rarity for me. You see, I caught his eye, and our gazes interlocked, and as he was in the middle of making an important speech to a bunch of disengaged blurs, he started to stumble over his words...and I wonder...why? The thought ran through my head that maybe, just possibly, he thought I was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen, and I was the type of person he wanted to watch the stars with and have deep, intellectual conversations with, then I remembered who I was, and chided myself for thinking I could be anything better.There is nothing abundantly extraordinary about me, I have the hair of a raven and the eyes of the galaxies, nothing but deep black nothingness. But I just thought maybe he would think there was something different in the bounce of my footsteps or the pattern of the movement of my lips...but of course he doesn't.

____________________________________________________

It's been a month, and I still find my mind thinking about him, and I can't figure out why, because I have liked boys before and felt a certain flutter in my heart when they would caress my hand, but this was something different entirely, because those boys never saw anything beautiful about me...as I'm hoping he does. Maybe I should write poetry or do a new art piece to pry my mind off of him...I don't know what will work?

___________________________________________________

So, I've decided tp go the craft store and find something that will occupy my mind, I found this elaborate paint by number that looks like it might take centuries to finish, but, hey, whatever it takes. I'm going up to purchase it now-

oh my-no, it can't be...he works here?

Slowly and unassumingly I go up to purchase my now pointless endeavour to forget him. His eyes are looking down at it as I slid it across the counter...he hasn't looked up yet. 

"This looks like fun," he says honestly.

"I'm counting on it."

He looks up now....

"Hey, I remember you..."