Love Over Royalty | Teen Ink

Love Over Royalty

It was a long stormy night while Ariel was laying in her bed wide awake not able to sleep. She had been thinking about the guy she ran into earlier that day, Vincent. Ariel could not stop thinking about the way she bumped into him, it was playing over and over in her head. She remembered exactly how everything happened when she had been walking to the park and Ariel was on her phone then suddenly they bumped heads.
“Oh my goodness I’m terribly sorry”, Ariel said
“It’s okay don’t worry about it”, Vincent said
“I feel really bad, I should’ve been paying more attention.”
“No it’s fine trust me. By the way what’s your name?”
“My name is Ariel, why do you ask?”
“I’m just curious. I don’t want to creep you out but you are really beautiful.”
“Thank you.”
“May I have your number? I would like to take you out sometime”, Vincent said
“Yes here let me write it in your phone.”
“Okay I’ll text you or call you later.”
“Okay, bye”, Ariel said
Although Vincent told Ariel that he would contact her the day they met, Ariel didn’t receive a call or a text. She was fine at first she figured maybe he got busy or something came up, Ariel was thinking more about how they had met and how it happened that day. The next day came and Ariel was still waiting for a call, but she got nothing. She found herself getting a bit upset about the fact that she had not received anything from Vincent. She was confused because Vincent told her he would call. Ariel began to patiently wait for Vincent to reach her.
Later on that day Ariel received a call from Vincent asking her to meet him at restaurant down the street from her house, Ariel agreed to meet him and got ready to go. When Ariel got to the restaurant Vincent was there waiting for her. They sat down and told each other more about themselves. Ariel had only found out something about Vincent that she never would have thought  would be true. She had found out that Vincent was twenty-six years old. Although Ariel was shocked, the situation did not shock her enough to make her not want to talk to him or get up and walk away. Ariel and Vincent stayed there at the restaurant all night just talking and enjoying each others company. It was then time for Ariel to go home and so they said their goodbyes and said they would talk the next day.
When Ariel arrived home she could not believe that she had just went on a date with someone way older than her and that she decided to stay. What also surprised Ariel was the feeling she started to get every time she thought about him, spoke to him, saw him, or even looked back on their date. Ariel was starting to realize that she was starting to like Vincent and she could not help it. Ariel had never felt the way she felt about Vincent for any other man. Ariel had dated many men before but found Vincent to be different. She did not want to think about letting him go, Ariel had even thought about a future with Vincent. Ariel always thought about Vincent and it never failed. She always wondered if Vincent was think about her or always waited for his call.
It had gone too far and whenever Vincent would not call, it affected the way Ariel would react towards people and it would determine her mood. She was becoming moody, Ariel was changing little by little. She didn’t even have time for herself anymore because all she did was think about Vincent. Ariel didn’t know what to do about the situation anymore, but she was scared to talk to Vincent about how she felt. She was scared because she was afraid that he wouldn’t want to talk to her or maybe he would try to tell her that it would be best if they didn’t speak.
Ariel had not yet told her family about Vincent. Although she was eighteen and able to be with who she wanted, she was scared for what her family may think about the fact that she was with a person eight years older than her. Not only was she afraid about that but she knew her family had been up to something for her. Her family had been trying to get her to meet a man that they wanted her to marry. The man was apart of a royal family and if Ariel would’ve married him, it could have possibly made her a queen.Her family thought it was best for her and thought Ariel would be happy about her family helping her find someone to be with.
Ariel’s family never really asked her about her relationship life before. Her family always thought she was an innocent girl who never went through relationships. Ariel did not know how to bring it up to her family until one day at the dinner table. Everyone was seated, Ariel could not take it anymore. She had just let out everything she needed to.
“ I bumped into a man the other day while walking to the park”, Ariel said
“ Oh yeah? Then what happened?”, Her mom said
“ He asked for my number and told me I was beautiful”, Ariel said
“ Ha! Don’t tell me you fell for his words”, Her father said
“ It sounds like he’s one of those guys who just talk to a girl one day and leave her the next”, Her mother said.
“ He’s not like that, he respects me and I like that about him”, Ariel said
“ So you’ve been talking to him?”, her father asked
“ Yes, for about three days now”, She replied
“ Don’t get too comfortable, I want you to meet this price who wants to marry you and make you queen.” her mom said
“ No! I don’t want to marry someone I don’t know and I don’t even want to get to know him.” Ariel said
Ariel had been upset after hearing that from her mother. She began to pack her bags and think about ways on how to be with Vincent. Then she received a call, it was from Vincent, Ariel was excited to speak to Vincent. She told him what her parents had told her earlier that day and spoke to him about her plans on how she wanted to get away with him. Ariel began crying her eyes out because she didn’t had not yet mentioned to her parents that they were 8 years apart. Ariel had just continued to talk to Vincent, which was the only thing making her feel better.
The following day, Ariel knew she was old enough to leave with Vincent, but she also knew that as long as she was living in her moms house she had to follow her rules. Ariel found it unfair that her mother wanted her to choose to be with someone she was not happy with over someone she would love to be with. Ariel hung out with Vincent later on that day. They planned so many things together and just made each other happy even though they knew that the things they planned for the future would be hard things to accomplish. Vincent was mad about the fact that her mom wanted her to be with a man just because of royalty.
“ Is you mom always like that?”, Vincent said
“ Like what?”, Said Ariel
“ Like does she always try to decide what’s best for you and your happiness?”
“ Most of the time yes, and it gets tiring but I can’t really say much”
“ Why?”
“ Her house, her rules”
“ I understand that but she shouldn’t try finding the right love for you life, that all depends on you”
“ I know and I want to tell her, but I don’t know how she’ll take it”
“ You’re growing up Ariel, you need to put your foot down and just break it to her”
“ I know I don’t want to hide it forever because I really want to be with you”
“ Then you have to let your parents know who it is that you really want, and tell them you don’t want them to choose for you”
“ I will! I will tell them today. I don’t want to marry a prince! I want to be with you Vincent!”
Later on that day Ariel went home, she saw her mom laying in her bedroom. Ariel walked in and told her that she needed to speak to her about something serious and that she didn’t want her opinion on it she just wanted to understand how she felt and where she was coming from with what she was about to tell her.
“ Mom, I am in love with the man I bumped into the other day. I know it sounds ridiculous but I don’t want to marry the prince. I just don’t have those feelings for him.”,  Ariel said