Our Last Dance | Teen Ink

Our Last Dance

July 14, 2015
By Jennxferr SILVER, Santa Cruz, California
Jennxferr SILVER, Santa Cruz, California
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

"And now let me introduce Chris's loving girlfriend, Addison."

She slowly walked toward the microphone, her face not even a shade of red. Shockingly, she's remained without a tear. I mean, her boyfriend passed away just days before.

"June 18: the best night of my life. Chris and I always went out dancing, you see. He was magnificent, always knowing what the next step was and never once making a mistake. As for me, I may as well have two left feet. I was mediocre, but with him being the lead, I felt like a star. He always taught me where to go and let me know which direction our next step was and when he was going to spin me. I couldn't mess up.

"But on June 18, he told me I was going to lead. I was taken aback of course; I had no idea how to lead. He offered to let me step on his feet if necessary to help me be more comfortable. I was still unsure if I wanted to do this, but I knew I was going to either way. I didn't want to let him down. And so, I took his hand, and we swayed to the music. I focused on the beat to make sure I knew it. 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4. I leaned forward and a little to the right so Chris knew where I was headed. 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4. I did better than I expected; I just went with the beat. Occasionally I spun him which always made me laugh. And sure, I messed up every now and then, but it didn't matter. Nothing did." She paused to laugh. Or she paused to cry. It was a mix in between. She smiled to herself and wiped her eyes.

"That night, it was just us, the music we shared, and an open floor in front of us for whatever we wanted to do. The rain was pounding on the windows and the loud booms of thunder drowned out the music every now and then. But it didn't matter. 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4. We didn't stop. Nothing else in the world existed. 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4. It was me and the man I love. We could do anything. 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4.

"And when the song came to an end, so did our dance. He smiled at me. He was the sun while I was the moon, and he taught me to learn to love the light even though it wasn't what I was used to." Addison took a moment to wipe away the tears that stained her cheeks.

"June 18 is a date I will forever hold in my heart. And I miss him. God, I miss him. I miss him to the point where I can barely keep moving. But he taught me that I can lead my own life. He made me truly happy which I didn't think was possible. And for that, I am forever grateful."