The Change | Teen Ink

The Change

May 29, 2015
By Anonymous

Preface

It all happened so fast. One moment we were driving, next moment I’m waking up in the hospital. I don’t even know what happened. I paged the nurse and she came in running. As soon as she got to my side she kept asking me if I knew my name, if I knew what day it was, or what had happened and I answered no each time. I think my name is Demitri  but I'm not sure.
The nurse got this weird look on her face and went and got the doctor. When they got back they were whispering about me and it bothered me so I said, “I may have been in an accident but that doesn’t mean I can’t hear you.”

Chapter One

I was headed to my dad’s for the summer because my mom was in Europe filming her latest movie. My dad thought it was a great idea that we’d be spending quality time together and that I’d be meeting his new wife. On the plane ride, there was this creepy old guy sitting next to me and he kept asking me where I was going and why I was going. Then he’d tell me about back in his day if you didn’t have money you couldn’t fly. So I asked a flight attendant what his deal was, and she told me that he had alzheimer's which meant he didn't remember things very well. I felt bad for calling him creepy now and I let him ask me as many questions as he wanted and I answered them the same each time he asked me them. I also kept asking him to tell  me stories from when he was younger just to keep him occupied.
About half-way through the flight he had to go to the bathroom so I paged the flight attendant from before to come and help. I decided to help her walk the man to the bathroom and wait with her here to help him back to his seat. We heard the toilet flush and then we waited for the door to open. After about five minutes the flight attendant knocked on the door  and asked if the man was alright. We awaited the answer but never got one. The flight attendant told me to go get the keys to the bathroom from the captain and explain the situation to him in brief. I got the keys from the captain and brought them to the flight attendant she unlocked the door and opened it. Once the door was open we saw the man still sitting on the toilet. nothing appeared to be wrong except for the fact that the man’s head hung limply to one side.
The flight attendant started freaking out and kept nudging the man and asking him if he was alright. I built up enough courage to reach in the bathroom and check the man for a pulse. He had a slight heart beat so I pulled the man up and asked the flight attendant to pull up his pants and help me get him to the hallway to lay him down. Once we got the man laying down I started calling out and asking the other passengers not too freak out but for one of them too bring me.

(TO BE CONTINUED)