A Love So True | Teen Ink

A Love So True

By Summerrain GOLD, Coldwater, Michigan
Summerrain GOLD, Coldwater, Michigan

you have to live life forwards, but you can only understand it backwards.

You know that little old park bench that sits alone day after day by the water shore? The bench no one has touched in years, gazing out at sea? ever wonder what the past was like?
       One day a young man went for a stroll through the park near the ocean side. Slowly step by step he watches the sand seep between his toes as the water splashes ashore. in the distance he spots a fluttering white gown worn by the most beautiful women he had ever seen. eyes so Crystal he got lost in the oceans reflection within, lips so plump and red as if stained by the red of something sweet. Skin so fine so smooth as if never been touched by sunlight. He fell instant love at first sight.  Reaching for a sea shell he sits softly down next to her and hands her the shell. " you know some say you can hear the ocean speak to you through a shell of this kind". with a giggle " is that so? Why we are sitting next to the ocean as is," (then smiles). Every day for the next month he walked the shore just to meet the women of his dreams , to see her waiting there on that bench for him. and every time handing her something sweet, from the shell to a rose to a carnation of candy. everyday showing his love for her until one day she waited there for him, and kept waiting but he never showed. she heard a loud explosion then looked out to sea, there she saw three navy ships fireing countless cannons at an enemy ship. standing quikly with a fright two of the navy's ships burst to fire, the flames so large she couldn't see anyone jump to sea. The waves get larger as the move towards her, she backs up slowly then runs to the closest building she can find for cover. As the plans move in firing there guns at anything that moves she ducks under to the basement and hides out. while on the remaining ship he stands there knowing his life is over. he hands a photo of his love to his mate," if i don't make it, find her and tell her i love her" then he walks to the cannon and with one last fire the plans above make there strike, and his ship is now just burning wood. The survivors jump to sea covered in burns they start swimming the best they can to shore. a few days go by no more sign of ships, all blown and sunken, she hears a knock upon her door. dear Abigail please come to the door. she answers yes? she is handed a letter as he told her, " he always loved you" then walked away. She opens the letter slowly and read  " To my Love , the past few months where more then anything i could ever ask for, you are the most amazing women i'v ever set my eyes upon, but im sorry to say i couldn't meet today i have been sent to war, neighboring terrorists have sent ships to the U.S to end the trade feud. if you receive this letter it means i have no made it back and for that i am terribly sorry. Just remember you are my love and never forget that. i will always be in your heart. taped to this is something for you to remember me. with love, Willard." She turns over the letter of sorrow and taped to the back is a photo of him and her sitting on that bench. Day after day she returned to the bench hoping, for anything just a sign he was there with her. as time pasted she grew old, with that last steps she could make she made her way to the bench, there it was, laying in her seat a sea shell, she held it to her ear and there she heard it, her answer and her sign that it was time to go and set herself free. " i will always love you " she swears she heard it whisper. setting the shell down slowly next to her laying her hand upon it, she looks out to sea and slowly closes her eyes. the sound of the ocean slowly fades away as so does her soul. finally free to be with her true love. Now about that bench, till this day is sits there old and lonely, waiting for its story to be heard, but is it empty or filled with joyful memories of the forgotten? there in that seat two souls have found each  other and lives day after day staring out to sea.