Shards of Love | Teen Ink

Shards of Love

By Steph-snake GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois
Steph-snake GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself to become a new person"-Gerard Way ♥

Light shone down from between the thick canopy of clouds that constantly covered the small town. It was not a happy place to be; the gloom never seemed to quite leave, plants never seemed to grow and everything was laced in shadow. Houses grew mosses and accumulated rust s time edged by. Despite the miserable setting, the citizens that populated the town were affable enough. It was not uncommon to see them interacting, socializing, fraternizing. None more than Venus Asbury, who was a regular social butterfly. With tangled ebony hair down to her hips, and green eyes that shined as brighter than emeralds, she was a sight to see. She jumped at any chance to help someone, her heart good and pure and not a mean bone in her body. Just now she was doing shopping for Mrs. Green, whose hip had been acting up so much she couldn’t go herself. It was then she, not for the first time, laid eyes on him. Tobias had noticed her as well, but after all, who hadn’t? His dirty blond hair was average, his glasses cracked and worn down, tall, well built and sun kissed; but it didn’t matter, he was hers. They’d only been together a short time but it was love.  He was every flower kissing the earth for her, every bolt of lightning in her sky, every drop of blood that flowed through her veins; this was the boy who made hell feel like home. It was the best feeling in the world but who can fall without breaking any bones? She smiled at him but it was not returned.
To take a pretty picture
And smash it into bits
Cupid takes his poison arrow
And aims it at your heart

Its heavy and its bitter and its tearing you apart
She returned from the grocery store, humming as she unpacking them with precision. After she finished, she stepped outside into the usual murk, still humming. She kicked the corpse of a once thriving plant, and was greeted by an old friend and neighbor.
“Someone seems happy.” Lyra chimed.
“It’s the love bug that’s got me.” She chirped back.
“Ahh! Who’s the lucky guy?” She launched into a detailed description of her newfound relationship, carefully recounting the events and made sure to announce her feelings, loud enough to shake the ground and trees.
Slow acid coursing through you veins
Side effects include
Shakiness, trembling, hallucinations of floating
Sickening delusions of eternal happiness
Empty promises
False hope
You play with fire
You’ll get burned in the end
You’re caught in a web
Your heart is the prey

“It’s funny actually…I think he has a girlfriend…Samantha? Yes….it’s been going on for a while. In fact…I don’t remember you two ever spending any time together…” It was as if something snapped, like many of the brittle twigs scattered across the ground.
“Do not say that whore’s name!” she screeched before rushing off. She knew the exact placement of furniture in his house, and which room was his, though she’d never been to his house with him. Knew his mother had short beach blond hair and his father was overweight, though she’d never met his parents.
Look at all the victims of this deadly disease
Look at all these happy people
Living their lives
Look at all these plastic people
There’s nothing inside
Look at all these shallow people
Telling their lies
All these empty people

He’s right there she’s waving why can’t he see me why can’t he see me? It’s dangerous when love is really lust and lust becomes obsession. Her imagination had never been very active but lately it had started to run wild. She dug her nails into her palm, causing her to bleed a bit; she could donate blood but that couldn’t get him out of her system. The sky was darkening into an indigo and the air smelled of water, rust and years. She channeled her longing into action, scratching her bare arms as she summoned all her strength into climbing the oak. She kept her struggle silent, as she needed the element of surprise. She swung herself into the open window; she meant to make a declaration of her love for him but when he entered all her unexpressed emotions became her fuel. She picked up the scissors that had been sitting on top of his messy desk, right next to some papers and a bottle of glue, and plunged in into his stomach before he could even ask her accusatory questions.
Feel the ache in your chest?
The tears burning in your eyes?
Aren’t you tired of running?
Tired of hurting?
Tired of living in lies?
Keep that sadness alive

The crimson spread like wildfire but she didn’t care; she was too far gone. Every stab made her hurt less; she moved mechanically though her face was contorted with emotion. She raised her voice to a scream, yelling nonsense.
“YOU BOUGHT ME FLOWERS AND USED THE THORNS TO MAKE ME BLEED! YOU BOUGHT ME STARSAND USED THE LIGHT TO BURN ME ALIVE!” he sank to his knees, groaning, anguish spread across his face and the lights began to leave his maroon eyes,
“You hurt my heart so now I’ll hurt yours.”
The hole in your heart is just a vacancy waiting to be filled by your next infection
Those weak stomachs and wobbly knees
You’re forced to carry the weight of your fate
And it’s crushing your very existence into a mere memory
.

A piece i wrote for a competition