Alors on Dance | Teen Ink

Alors on Dance

April 15, 2015
By ConnieCX BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
ConnieCX BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Come on try a little, nothing is forever!



She walked in and gasped as her eyes met his; he cringed and turned away quickly, she sighed. Nothing’s changed.
Natalie is in love with Ivan, but she’s overbearing. He’s not fond of her. Will this random encounter change one of them? Both of them? Or will everything stay the same? Alors on Dance, when we dance.
“Okay class, let’s get started. Partner up!” ordered the instructor.
There was a mad dash to not get picked last. When the room settled, each dancing partner stood side-by-side. Natalie was the only one without a partner, aside from the instructor.
Ivan groaned inwardly. He would have to be her partner.
She tucked her head down as he approached. He clenched and unclenched his fists, trying to relax.
“Hello, N-Natalie,” mumbled Ivan.
“H-Hi, Ivan,” Natalie whispered.
Natalie looked up at Ivan, a light pink blush spreading across her cheeks.
The broad-chested instructor, Ivan, looked down on her. Although he had known her many years, he had never seen her eyes before, not this close anyway. They were a forget-me-not blue. He found himself entranced by their gentle innocence.
Someone coughed, and Ivan snapped back to reality. He bit his lip, embarrassed.
“Okay class, please follow my lead,” shouted Ivan.
Ivan took Natalie’s hand and placed it on his shoulder. Then he put his hand on her waist, taking her free hand in his.
He spun them around once, quickly, a small noise of surprise escaping her. She clung tightly to him. Then suddenly, the motion stopped. The turn was finished.
He dropped his hands away from her and stepped back. He turned and faced the group.
“For starters, try that,” Ivan huffed.
The students began their task, most clumsily; some fairly well. Natalie stood shyly by her dance partner, her cheeks dark red.
“Good. Now we’ll try some other moves,” panted Ivan.
With each new dance move, Natalie became shyer. “I-Ivan…I…,” stuttered Natalie.
“Hm? Yes Natalie?” Ivan muttered.
“N-Nothing…” she said.
“All right class! Now that we have all the moves, lets put them together,” announced Ivan.
He drew Natalie close to him once again. They locked eyes, hers warm, pale blue, his a cold ice blue, almost purple.
His glacial eyes seemed to melt as they began to twirl around the dance floor.
They twisted and turned and gracefully moved through each step of the dance.
She placed her head on his shoulder, expecting to be pushed away. He lifted his hand to run his fingers through her lightly colored hair and continued dancing.
The music slowed to a 1-2-3, 1-2-3 waltz. He tipped her chin up to look at her face. He pulled her closer as if to kiss her.
“Natalie… I think I’m in lo-,” Ivan was cut off suddenly by a timer ringing signaling the end of class.
He pulled away. “Well, that’s it. Thank you for coming to this class. We are done now and you’ve all pass. Goodbye,” he announced hoarsely.
Ivan gathered his things and headed to his office. She sighed, still, nothing’s changed.


The author's comments:

My best friend was totally crushing on our dance instuctor, that's where I came up with the idea to write 'Alors on Dance.'