My Best Friend is The Hottest Boy On Campus | Teen Ink

My Best Friend is The Hottest Boy On Campus

By CherieAria BRONZE, Taipei, Other
CherieAria BRONZE, Taipei, Other
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"Don't compromise yourself, you are all you've got"--Janice Joplin

?Patience! Patience! A watched pot never boils.

I think to myself. But here I am staring at my cellphone anxiously thinking: when will he call? What should I say when Jace calls? It's not just the usual phone call we have, the situation is different.

I have it all planned out in my head. I will tell him. I will.

And the phone rings. It's JACE! My heart thumps really fast as I pick up the phone. All the words I usually say and all the lines I planned to say are gone. They just ditched me, hiding behind a couch and leaving me here alone with my scary mission.

' C'mon, Stacy! You can do it. You guys have been friends for so long.' I think to myself. But recently Jace has been... different. Strangely and especially NICE, in a different way... Maybe it's just my wishful thinking. I just fell for him at the recruiting of the school. Not awkward at all even though he's my best friend.(Hope you got that sarcasm in my tone.) 

"Hey Josh." I hear Jace say on the other end of the phone. Wha-?

"Ja..." I start, but he butts me off.

"Buddy. You know I have this close friend Stacy? Actually, I've always liked her and I wanna tell her that today. But I'm kinda nervous. Can you like... I dunno... encourage me or something?" Wait. Despite his cute voice and adorable tone and... I mean despite all his charm and... I mean, wrong number? A little funny, right? And cute and... But why on earth would Jace Corono need encouragement from Josh? Why would he need encouragement at all!? Any girl would accept his proposal. I mean, jeez!

"I've been dialing her number on my phone again and again but I didn't dare hit the green button. What if she feels differently and..."

"Oh! Don't worry. She feels the same." As soon as I figure out what I did I quickly cover my mouth. But the words are already out. Like, really? Jace likes me?... OMG!

"Stacy?"

I hold my breath, not knowing what to say.

"Stacy. I know your voice, it's you, right?"

"Yeah... I guess you just pressed the green button anyway..." I laugh stiffly.

"Well, I guess I don't have to think of a way to tell you anymore..."

"I guess. I was wandering...We call each other everyday! What's there to be sacred of? If you suddenly chickened out, just act normal!" Coming from me? D---. Talk about hypocrisy.

"So... you like me, too?"

"Yes. Surprise! Surprise! Just like the rest of the school."

He chuckles so... s-----

"So that was a yes?"

"To what? Did I miss a question?"

"If I asked you to be my girlfriend...?"

"If? I'm not gonna answer an 'If' question. Are you asking?"

"I'm sorta doing it... Right. Now." Really? REALLY?

"Omigod! Yes! Yes!" I bounce up and down on my bed. He laughs and I can practically see him throwing his head back while simultaneously sighing in relife and shaking his head at my reaction. I quickly clear my throat and say "No! I mean just plain 'Yeah sure.' "

I wanna spank myself!

Then I hear the doorbell ring.

"Is that the doorbell?" He asks.

"Yeah. I'm ignoring it for yours sake."

"It's okay. Hang up. Go get the door."

"But..."

"Just go."

I relunctantly hang up and go get the door. I am ABSOLUTELY ready to MURDER whoever it is that rung the stupid doorbell. That couldn't have rung the bell any other time but now. As if there's an emergency that needs to be tended to RIGHT NOW. As if this person couldn't have showed up somewhere else. As if this person couldn't just LEAVE ME ALONE with who I am with right now and let me enjoy a sweet conversation with my new boyfriend.

I open the door with all the hatred boiling in my head like lava and... what!?

"JACE!"

"Hey Stacy."

"What are you doing here!?" I scream.

"Looking for my girlfriend."

"Okay~ Every girl in our school will hate me for this."

I lean in to kiss Jace Corono as he chuckles that s--- laugh of his.

I really hope Rachel the mean girl isn't peaking out of the window from her room across my house right now. She's SO gonna give me h--- for this. I must watch out for my locker and... I let a bunch of thoughts invade my head for a few seconds as I kiss Jace. But then...

No. I couldn't care less about Rachel right now. Actually, on second thought, forget about it. He's mine! She can stare at us all she wants.

My (not really related) sister and I wrote this story together when we were 15 but neve really got to have anyone read it. In fact we wrote a whole series of stories where people dial the wrong number and named it "Wrong Number Series". I recently found this piece when I was hunting through my computer working on my college application and I still think that it's hilarious. So here it is.