Me and Him | Teen Ink

Me and Him

Beverly Hills citizens had various stereotypes. There was always at least one truth to those believed stories; everyone was rich. I, Anna Walker, lived among the rich upper class of Beverly Hills. My father had made billions of dollars off a small startup company in Berlin, 3 years before I was born. My mom had died in labor and my dad, 17 years later, still blamed me for her death. All I knew about my mother, Catherine Walker, is that she was the best thing that ever happened to my dad.
I never knew what is was like to have a family. My father practically lived in Berlin and only came home twice a year; Christmas and my birthday. Our maid, Magdalena Cortéz, was basically my guardian even though she couldn’t speak english. I spent my birthday for the last 17 years locked in my room because Maggie would never let me see my dad. He was drunk 80% of the time and the other 20% he spent at my mothers grave. He never wanted to see me because I reminded him of the family he could have had. The only reason I think he hasn’t given me up for adoption is because he knew that if my mom was alive, she would never allow it.
Beverly Hills HIgh School was my escape. I was popular; the only person to win homecoming queen all 4 years of high school. I was the person most likely to be valedictorian. I was the varsity cheerleading captain and leading goal scorer for the BHHS varsity soccer team. On top of all of that, I had the perfect boyfriend; funny, sweet, athletic, and smart. We both had got full scholarships to Stanford which rarely happens.
All of these were just a show ... except for my boyfriend, Scott Daniels. I only tried so hard in high school because I was desperate for attention from my dad. I had always wanted him to accept me, to tell me he loved me. Scott was the only person who knew what I went through on a daily basis. I trusted him more than anybody else and I was in love with him. Just the thought of him made my pulse quicken, my cheeks redden, and cause my arms to fill with goosebumps. Every girl wanted to be with him while all the guys wanted to be him. He had dirty blonde hair that naturally flowed in the right direction, these big blue eyes that made you melt when you looked in them, and he had a killer spiral.
We were best friends since the 3rd grade and I had always had a small crush on him. It wasn’t until the 8th grade we started dating. Our first date had been on Valentine’s day and we had gone for dinner at Benihana’s. He gave me a charm bracelet from TIffany’s and a box of Godiva truffles
Today was our 4 year anniversary and I had given Maggie the day off. Tonight was the night that I would never forget.
“A, what are we going to do tomorrow.” This year I was going to be in charge of our anniversary date and I had planned to have a nice dinner and then go to the creek where Scott and I used to play with each other.
Like I was saying before, tonight is going to be a night to remember. I had lit candles around my room to set the mood. It had taken me 2 hours to get ready but I did. I wore a black mini dress that showed off my toned legs and my long brown hair was worn in loose curls. My high cheekbones looked even higher with the bronzer I put. I put on my 2 inch black stilettos right when the doorbell rings.
Running to the door, I check my make-up one more time before I open the door. In the doorway is Scott holding a bouquet of white roses, my favorite flower. “Come on in,” I tell him gesturing to the inside of my house.
When I woke up I had realized that me and Scott were meant to be. We had stayed up last night just laying under the moonlight watching the stars.

FOUR MONTHS LATER

It’s graduation day. I have to say goodbye to all the people I consider my “friends”. They were never really close to me though. The only person I had really been close to was Scott. He had been spending more nights at my house. Next week, we were both going to head down to Stanford together. Talk about the perfect road trip.  Right before graduation starts, Scott pulls me aside.
“A, I need to tell you something. I’ve decided not to go to Stanford. That’s always been your dream college, not mine. I got an offer to Duke last week. I know that you might be upset now but you have to realize that Duke has a better sports program than Stanford. If I want to play in the NFL then I need to play at Duke. I think we both need to move one.”
I forget to tell Scott that I thought we should move in together It was like my walls were crashing down. I thought our love would last whatever obstacle came in our way. I vowed to myself that Scott would never know about my baby. He doesn't deserve to be its father. He proved to be even worse than my father. At least my father loved my mother. I decided that if he could let go of me so easily, he wasn’t worth my time.

FOUR YEARS LATER

I finally am successful. After I graduated college, I started a daycare company across the nation. It helped teen moms with free daycare while they went to school. Sure, I didn’t make much but I was happy, without Scott/ Scott ended up making the NFL as a backup quarterback for the New York Jets and marrying a supermodel. I guess things worked out for the both of us.