Summer Feelings | Teen Ink

Summer Feelings

February 27, 2015
By Anonymous

Sixteen years old, hazelnut colored hair, blue eyes, six feet four Mitchell Baker never realized his feelings until that summer. Mitchell's family had been in a financial problem for as long as Mitchell can remember. His father is a hardworking man that didn't receive much education. Mitchell's mother passed away half a year after he was born, leaving his father to take care of the two brothers. Mitchell's brother is a delinquent that disappeared on his high school graduation day; he had never been seen since then. Mitchell is a hard working student that in order not to cause trouble for his father, did well in school, refused his social life and dedicated himself to help out his father. He always placed second in exams, never being able to place first; because first was always taken by Chase Adams. Also sixteen years old, but blonde hair, brown eyes, six feet two Chase Adams came from a wealthy family. He always got what he wanted when he asked for it. But when he realized that he liked Mitchell Baker during his freshman year; he knew this is something he may never get. They been best friends since 7th grade and been very close to each other. Talked to each other about their crushes, games, sports, typical teen boy topics. But after starting high school, they grew farther away as Mitchell focused more on his family leaving no time to socialize. As a result, they each made new groups of friends and rarely talked to each other anymore. But Chase noticed the loneliness and it became the start of his unobtainable love. It was the beginning of summer, when Chase walked into the bakery on an errand. When he was greeted by the familiar voice, he was startled. "What are you doing here?!" he asked. "Ned to help out the family and get some pocket money at the same time... so... yeah." Mitchell replied awkwardly. Chase thought to himself and had to give a silent thanks to his mother for sending him on this errand. He was able to see Mitchell and maybe even get a conversation going. "Hey! Look! I'm taller than you now!" Mitchell yelled in excitement. "Ha ha yeah. I used to be the tall one, not fair." Chase replied in a jokingly way. That was when Mitchell's phone rang. "Hello... WHAT... OK I'll be there soon." Without saying anything, Mitchell left the bakery and took off running like a cheetah. Confused, Chase just left the bakery and back home. Chase visited the bakery many times from that day on; but he was never able to see Mitchell there again. One day, Chase decides to go to his house instead. He found Mitchell packing his stuff and boxes everywhere. "Hey. What's going on? Why are you packing?" Chase asked when he saw the boxes. "Hey. My dad overworked and had fallen ill. So we decided to move back to his hometown." Mitchell replied with a hurt tone. "But. Bu-But. You can't leave you idiot!" Chase suddenly yells out. He ran away like a scared puppy after that, leaving Mitchell confused. Mitchell thought about why Chase acted like that HE never had many friends and Chase was his closest friend. But they started to grow farther away after high school started. Mitchell depressed to see their friendship weaken, but he was busy with his family matters that he didn't have time to do anything else. He got over it later on though... But when his dad announced to go back to his hometown, Mitchell felt hurt and miserable. He never thought about it, but now that he finally did. He knew why he felt like this. With this thought, Mitchell ran around town looking for Chase. He found him under the bridge they used to hang out at a lot. Chase was just sitting there, his back against the wall and he was scrunched up with his head in his arms. Mitchell slowly walked over and sat down next to him. Chase looked up and was surprised how fast he found him. "How you find me this fast? Normally, this is the last place people go to." Chase questioned. "We used to come here every day in 8th grade. I knew you be here." Mitchell replied. Chase nodded and looked like he was in deep thought. "... Are you mad about like how I yelled at you and everything...?" Mitchell had a surprised look at how simple Chase was thinking. "Why would I be mad? I know why you are so desperate. And it's fine, since I don't want to leave this place and ... you. You made me realize why I was so unhappy to leave this town. I came to let you know that." Mitchell said in a soft voice. "Wait. Wha- what. Oh my gosh." Chase blushed red and stammers in shock. "Ha ha yeah. I'm leaving in about thirty minutes or so. So I got to go now... I'll try to come back and visit." Mitchell said with tears running down his face. He slowly got up, and looked down at the shocked Chase. He gave Chase a soft pat on the head like he was a little puppy. "Sorry. We can still text and call, so that's a good thing. See you soon." With that, Mitchell left Chase sitting there shocked with sorrow that they may not meet for a long time. Chase slowly got up and rubbed his head. "That idiot. Don't make me cry,too."