My Brother's Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Brother's Best Friend

February 19, 2015
By S.P.Cullen SILVER, Bradford, Other
S.P.Cullen SILVER, Bradford, Other
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To the world, you may be a millionaire; but to the Angel Of Death, you're just another name on the list."


I walked into the room with bright plans for the day. My mind was bubbling with new ideas and kept going off on many tangents; like the tabs on a cell. Today was going to be excellent. I just knew it. I stopped walking abruptly and felt all my pleasant daydreams vanish without a trace.

"Violet?"

This voice I could recognise anywhere, only it was much deeper, more textured from the way I remembered it. My eyes narrowed as I tried to distract myself.

"Oh God! Violet! Is it really you?"

I didn't know how much of his question was dripping with sarcasm due to the fact that he completely coated it with astonishment. As usual, I walked through the kitchen and threw a couple of eggs into the pan, not addressing our surprise guest nor even acknowledging that he was even there.

I was curious to know whether he really was astonished or if he was just mocking me, so I made my way over to the fridge as an excuse to shy a quick glance at him.

And there he was, his mouth hung open, gawking at me.

"What?" I asked, suddenly self-conscious as I wrapped my arms around my chest.

"What do you mean 'what'? Have you seen yourself woman?" he replied in a distant voice.

"I'm not understanding you. Can you try make yourself a little clearer?" I mocked, in my new British accent. I smiled inwardly, knowing that this would surprise him.

"You've grown...a lot." he choked, his eyes raking over my body like a pocket thief.

"It's a human thing; we tend to grow over the year. And can you please not do that?" I said with sarcasm. I really didn't understand the situation here. I'd only grown a few inches!

"Awh princess, come on, don't be like that, you know you want me" he smirked with a knowing look in his eyes. So the arrogance was still there. Hah, shouldn't have doubted it.

I turned away to attend my almost burning breakfast when I felt a presence very close behind me. A pair of large hands grabbed my shoulders and turned me. 

Well, surprise, surprise!

"Do you mind?" I said in a seemingly strong voice. But inside I was shaking; his proximity knocked the breath out of me. Just a few more inches closer, and our lips would be touching. I quickly discarded the thought. This was already bad enough.

"You know you want me..just admit it. Can you really refuse to something like this?" he whispered, gesturing down to his naked torso. And then it happened. He started to come closer, his breath fanned over my face, smelling of toothpaste.

"Don't, my brother remember?" I muttered helplessly, grasping the chance to distract him from the inevitable happening.

"Did someone mention brother?"

We both whipped around to see a very angry older brother leaning against the kitchen doorway, his face puce and his eyes sparking with red hot fury. His fingers were balled up into fists and there were crease lines on his forehead. I quickly pulled away from our embrace, hoping it would pass. I even heard him gulping next to me, red faced and ashamed.

"Deary me, could I not leave my best friend in a room with my baby sister without him smothering her?"

Yep. We were dead meat. And it was his fault.


The author's comments:

I know someone who was once in this situation so I thought about maybe a story to cheer her up. Luckily, it worked! And I got her permission to put it up online!