Would you like to take a survey? | Teen Ink

Would you like to take a survey?

By Kelly14 SILVER, Modesto, California
Kelly14 SILVER, Modesto, California

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." -Joseph Chilton Pearce

DING DONG… DING DONG… DING DONG… ding-ding-ding-dong.
“Patience! It’s a virtue,” Jackson yelled while sprinting to unlock his door.
“So I’ve heard,” said Desarae with arms crossed across her chest. 
“Hello? That couldn’t be my beautiful little sister Rae standing at my doorstep. What a pleasant surprise.”
“Haha. Yeah whatever Jackie.”
“It’s been months since you last paid little ole me a visit.”
“I’ve had a lot going on.”
“And now you want to share all that with me.”
“So there I was minding my own business. Just sitting in Pete’s just like I always do picking the chocolate chips out of my chocolate chip muffin.”
“Why do you always do that?”
“Why do you always interrupt? Anyways… so there I was.”
“This sounds like it’s going to be a painstakingly long story.”
“It wouldn’t be so long if you’d just let me tell it.”
“I’m going to need to sit down for this.”
“So, it was just another boring Tuesday morning in December. Only my second day back in L.A. after our family trip for Christmas. When some gentleman strolls up behind me, of course I was too enthralled by my muffin to notice him approach me. Well he taps me on the shoulder and says in his deep, wise voice ‘I hate to bother you, but I have something important to ask you.’”
“What did he have to ask you, Rae?”
“Jackie! Would you let me speak?”
“Go on.”
“Thank you. Anyhow… He was so tall, at least compared me, his skin glowed with evidence of a faded tan, his brown eyes were so warm they seemed to wrap me in a hug, his smile was crooked but his teeth flashed straight behind his thin lips.”
“Umm.”
“Damn bro, won’t you shut up?”
“No comment.”
“Finally you have no comments. Well, he sat down across from me. Never asking permission, which would normally call for a full barrage of witty remarks, but before I could tell him off he began to talk again.”
“That doesn’t normally stop you.”
“What can I say, I was intrigued.”
“Mhmm.”
“He spoke fluidly and with such grace.”
“That’s manly.”
“Yes! It is Jackie. Well, He did have something to ask me, a few things actually.”
“Huh?”
“He asked if I’d be willing to take a survey.”
“Bwahaha!”
“Yeah, yeah whatever Jackie. It was for his Law and Justice class at UCLA.”
“My apologizes to the creepy Mr. Lawyer.”
“Future Lawyer, and he is not creepy.”

...

“I suppose I could take a little time out of my busy schedule,” I said while leaning in so I could… hear him more clearly.
“Thank you miss it is greatly appreciated. For the common good you know,” he threw his elbows down on the table closing in the atmosphere.
“I’m sure,” I nodded
“First question. What is your name?” he absentmindedly shuffled through his pile of papers, but I couldn’t tell if there was anything actually written on them.   
“Straight to the personal information?” I tease
“Strictly for the records miss I promise,” I watched eagerly as he reached his hand across the table laying it down in front of me
“I don’t know. Can I trust you?”
“Scouts honor.” His hand shot into the air
“You, were a boy scout?”
“No, but it sounded good, right?”
“Not really. My name is Desarae Harris.”
“Okay, Ms. Harris”, he said smiling as he looked back down at the papers, “Second Question.”
“Don’t I get to ask you some questions too? It only seems fair.” I place my chin tenderly in the palm of my hand.
“Well that does seem fair,” he said while mirroring my gesture.
“Marvelous. What is your name, Mr. Lawyer-Man?”
“I don’t know why you bothered asking my name since you clearly know that it is in fact Mr. Lawyer-Man.”
“Well isn’t that cute.”
“It’s a family name.”
“Is that so?”
“Yes, I am the third generation of Mr. Lawyer-men … mans. I don’t know what the plural would be. Anyways my name is Theodore Porter.”
“Sounds like a lot of pressure.”
“Porter is a pretty average last name actually.”
“I meant growing up in a family of lawyers. If that wasn’t just some lie that sounded good in a joke.”
“No it is very much true, and there were pluses and minuses to it growing up.”
“So Theodore,” I grinned,” did you have any more questions for me?”
“What? Oh, yes. Ahem. Second question. What is your birthday?”
“Woah! Don’t you know never to ask a lady her age?”
“Survey, remember.”
“April 1st.”
“Year? Ms. April fools”
“It only fitting saying how much laughter and joy I bring into my family’s life,” I said winking.
“I can tell you are an absolute joy.”
“Flattery me likes. My birthday is April 1st, 1991.”
“You are far to young and radiant to be worrying about a silly little number.”
“Oh yeah? How old are you, Charming?”
“Twenty-five. So, I have a few years on you yet. Question three?”
“Shoot.”
“What is degree of your education?”
“I have a bachelor degree in English as well as teaching credentials which I received from UCLA.”
“So you’re a teacher,” he says as he scribbles something down on paper.
“No I’m actually a TV writer. That’s why I still live in L.A.”
“Oh,” he says as he scratches his pen over his still damp scribbles, “That’s cool, but why did you get a teaching credential?”
“Plan-B.” his eyes glittered as they looked straight into my own. I could talk to him all day. Heck, I would love to just stare at him all day.

...

“Ahem”
“Is there a problem, Jackie?”
“Where is this going?”
“I was trying to tell you how I ended up being the proud owner of a new last name.”