Details in the Fabric | Teen Ink

Details in the Fabric

By anonymous3327 SILVER, Franklin, Virginia
anonymous3327 SILVER, Franklin, Virginia

"People need stories in order to survive reality" ~ Shakespeare (from the anime Romeo and Juliet, anyway)

She remembered his smile. The feel of his whispers. The sincerity of his "I love you"s. She thought it would never end.

"I'm sorry... but this is goodbye..."

She couldn't speak. She could only numbly feel the wobbling pavement under her feet and the condemning tears marring her complexion as he wrapped her in his arms for the last time.

"I just... can't do this. You are wonderful, believe me- I... I'll miss you..."

Her tears seemed to be reflected from above as the sky split and rain surrounded the two post-lovers.

"This time we had together was beautiful. As perfectly imperfect as the stitches- the details- so carefully blended in fabric. But I can't..."

She was never prepared for this.

"I just can't-"

He gently le her go and began to walk down the rain-soaked pavement. She wasn't prepared. But, sticky-faced and fingers clenching emptiness, she began to resign herself to scattering the fragments of her heart.

However, through bleary eyes, she saw the epitome of human imperfection... a beautiful piece of fabric, walking away. Her heart beat in time with the rhythm of the rain as she stepped forward and grasped his sleeve-

"No..."

This started to float around in my head after listening to Details in the Fabric by Jason Mraz for the first time. I had to write it down so I could finally concentrate on my boatload of homework.