Another World | Teen Ink

Another World

By shinebrightxoxo BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
shinebrightxoxo BRONZE, Roslyn, New York

When I’m stressed, I drive. All that I have to do is make a slight right turn on this corner on Elm Lane, and then I’m there.  I’m in this strange little world, where my current surroundings are all that matters. Because here, in this little world, I am nothing— simply an observer. My stresses are nothing— they are buried deep down inside the heart of the girl who once sat in the driver’s seat of this car. But, now she’s gone. Left behind in a different world… galaxies away. When I drive, I drive until I forget my identity.
    I look out the window, at the car to my right. It is a gray minivan. I look further. I look inside. There is a man in the driver’s seat, a lady beside him. He has one hand on the steering wheel. The other hand is on hers. The way he looks at her sends a rush through my spine. They’re clearly in love. The woman is not heavily made up, and honestly, she looks like a mess. Despite his affection towards this woman, the man also seems to express an emotion that at first looks like concern. I look further. It’s not concern at all. It’s something more.  Something I’m completely unable to describe, for I have certainly never felt this emotion before. The woman’s forehead is beaded with sweat as she takes deep breaths in and out. Slow, deep breaths. Strong breaths. I think I can even hear an occasional moan making its way through the air and into my car. The faint, but piercing, sound gives me the chills. Something seems wrong, but I cannot help. I have no idea what that man feels, but I certainly feel concern. I have never seen this couple before in my life, but in this moment, they are the only thing that I can think about. I follow them, as if I could grant some sort of protection over them. I drive a little slower, watching the man and woman pull into a hospital parking lot. I anxiously watch the couple. A surge of panic rushes through my body as I watch the man frantically jump out of the gray minivan, rushing to the shotgun side of the car. He quickly opens the door.
     I see the woman emerge from the car. With the man’s support, she stands straight, her body weak and large. I gasp. A wave of relief suddenly rushes through me.
I can now see that a miracle lay inside of this lady. A life that will soon be her everything. A life that will become even more valuable to her than her own. I can’t believe it. Tears well up in my eyes as I watch the couple. I cannot believe that I am witnessing something so incredible. So beautiful.
     It’s astounding what the world gives to some people. Nonetheless, it’s also astounding what the world takes from others. It’s astounding to see what the world has to offer. The world is astounding.
     “I send my blessings. Congratulations,” I whisper, a smile on my face.
     I swear I see the couple pause for a moment, looking up into the starry night sky, as if to say “thank you”. Then all returns to normal as they rush towards the hospital, yelling for a stretcher. They are nervous, extremely panicked, excited, and awfully joyous all at once. I see the man look at his lover, giving her a knowing glance. It is time. Time for the best moment of both of their lives. I long to be part of it. I sigh and keep driving. Someday, I tell myself. Someday.

Whenever I'm in the car, I really do find it astounding how each person within every single car on the street has their own story. I often am curious as to what goes on in these cars and try to look inside and make up my own stories. Last night, I channeled my growing curiousity into my writing and created this piece. Hope you like it. Maybe— just maybe— you can find this couple out there someday. Someday.