birthday wishes | Teen Ink

birthday wishes

By Hperk BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
Hperk BRONZE, Parker, Colorado

“Hey Mrs. Roberts! Is Sam home?” Alex asked, peeking into the kitchen where Mrs. Roberts was rolling out homemade sugar cookies.
“Thanks!” Alex headed up the stairs, following the too familiar path to Sam’s room. Second door on the right. Alex opened the door before knocking, which made Sam scream and drop a pencil.
“You’re doing homework?! You’re doing homework?! On your birthday?!” Alex yelled, jumping on Alex.
“Yes, I have a huge biology test tomorrow. And you’re making my leg cramp up.”
“Give me a kiss before I get off. C’mon.” Sam smiled and kissed Alex.
“There, happy?”
“Yes, thank you,” Alex crawled off, smirking. Sam looked back down on the study guide. It was just too confusing, so Sam set it aside and sat down on the floor cross-legged in front of Alex.
“Soooo… I heard it’s your birthday today,” Alex murmered, nonchalantly looking at the ceiling. “And I wanted to do something for you since, ya know, you’re pretty special.”
“Oh no, Alex… You didn’t have to get me anything. I know money is tight right now and you’re life has been super busy and-“
“Shhh, no more talking,” Alex whispered, “I wouldn’t bring a pizza box for nothing.” Alex pulled the pizza box beside Sam’s backpack and placed it between them. Opening it, he revealed an extra large cheesy pizza with birthday candles on it. Face buried, Sam laughed.
“You know I’m gonna eat all of that right? It’s all miiiine.”
“Haha I mean you might get full from all the brownies I made too, so you might be a walrus by the time I leave,” Alex replied, pulling out a huge plateful of dark chocolate brownies covered in saran wrap. Each little brownie had an ‘S’ on it in yellow frosting.
“I thought what better way to say happy birthday than a meal full of diabetes?”
Sam laughed. “You really didn’t have to do this Alex.”
“Yes I did! I love you too much than leave you alone on your birthday! Now, help me light the candles.”
Alex let Sam light the candles on top of the pizza, then proceeded to sing ‘Happy Birthday” extremely off key.
It took them a while, but they finally finished the whole pizza, but Alex left all the brownies to Sam. The sun had gone down a long time ago, and the room was filled with soft light. Alex was excitedly retelling something that had happened at cross country practice when Sam sighed very loudly.
“What? What’s the matter sweetheart?” Alex asked worriedly, gently touching Sam’s face.
“I know I shouldn’t like… show my vulnerable side or anything, but Alex… I’m so scared of losing you. Just so scared and I don’t what’s gonna happen if I have to live life without you.”
Eyebrows knit together, Alex kissed Sam. “I’m right here, Sam. I’m right here. I always will be. I love you. I’ll always be here.”
Sam held Alex tighter, attempting to take in the moment.

*Authors Note: Alex and Sam are not given genders throughout the whole story. They can be interpreted as a boy and a girl, a girl and a girl, or a boy and a boy.