The Mixtape | Teen Ink

The Mixtape

By Ilean BRONZE, Stockton, California
Ilean BRONZE, Stockton, California

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

It was October 21, 2014. It was a Friday night. Edward was recording a mixtape in his studio. “That’s it for today,” said Edward, “same time tomorrow.”

“Okay,” said Edward’s friend Aaron. “We’re almost done recording your mixtape.”
“Finally,” said Edward. His face was full of exhaustion and happiness at the same time.
“It’s been three months,” said Aaron. “We’ll finally be able to drop your mixtape.”
“I hope so,” said Edward. “Bye, I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Alright, bye,” answered Aaron.
Edward walks home since his house isn’t far from the studio. Aaron has to take the bus because his house is farther from the studio than Edward’s house.
The next day they meet up at Michael’s pizza.
“Hey,” said Edward.
“Hey,” said Aaron. “Did you order the food yet?”
“Yeah I ordered some pizza, wings, fries, and soda,” answered Edward.
“Okay, so what did you want to talk about?” asked Aaron.
“Oh nothing I just wanted to hang out before going to the studio,” said Edward.
“Alright let’s eat,” said Aaron, “I’m starving.”
“I ordered your favorite pizza and wings,” said Edward, “Pepperoni and sausage pizza and lemon pepper wings.”
“Thanks man,” replied Aaron, “I love you.”
“I love you too man,” answered Edward.
“Why are they taking so long with the food?” asked Aaron.
“Look everybody’s over there in a big circle,” said Edward.
“Let’s check it out,” said Aaron.
“Ok,” said Edward.
They got up and walked towards the crowd of people. There was a famous producer.
“I should talk to him,” said Edward, “Maybe he’ll produce our mixtape.”
“Maybe he will if he thinks we’re any good.” said Aaron.
Edward yelled the producer’s name. He turned around and looked at Edward.
“Who are you?” asked the producer.
“My name is Edward and I would like to talk to you about something important,” said            Edward.
The producer gave Edward his card. “Give me a call and we can schedule lunch together so we can talk,” said the producer.
Edward told Aaron all about the producer and how we was a big deal.
“His name is Eddie,” said Edward, “But, he’s known as Eddie 2 Steezy, Big Eddie, or Special Ed.”
“I’ve never heard of him before,” said Aaron, “I wonder why.”
“Maybe because you usually don’t go on social media,” said Edward.
“That’s true,” said Aaron, “You have a point.”
“Look our food’s here,” said Edward, “Let’s eat.” Edward and Aaron ate their food and finished everything.
Later on, they went back to the studio and started recording. Edward rapped the songs and Aaron did all the editing to make sure it was perfect.
“Are we almost finished recording?” asked Aaron.
“Yeah, we just need to record a couple more songs and change some of the beats,” said Edward.
“Ok, that’s great,” said Aaron, “I hope we’re done by tomorrow.”
“Yeah me too,” said Edward
“What’s going to be the name of your mixtape?” asked Aaron.
“I don’t know yet,” said Edward. “I am thinking of calling it Young Waffle the self-titled album.”
“That’s a good idea since that’s your street name and people will know your name after listening to your mixtape,” said Aaron.
“That’s true and it would also make sense because it’s my first mixtape,” answered Edward.
“Yeah, it’s a pretty good title,” said Aaron.
“I think I’ll keep that title,” said Edward. “I probably won’t change it so thanks for helping pick my name.”
“You’re very welcome,” said Aaron. “Thanks for letting me be a part of your dream.”
“You’re my best friend.” said Edward. “It’s been great so far having you right here next to me along the way.”
“It’s been a fun and great time being right here next to you the whole time,” said Aaron.
“I have to go, I’ll see you tomorrow my mom said to go home because my sister had an allergic reaction to something she ate and she’s going to take her to the emergency room,” said Edward. “I’m so sorry I have to leave early.”
“It’s okay I understand, I mean your sister’s sick,” said Aaron. “Bye I hope your sister’s okay.”
“Thanks man I appreciate it,” replied Edward. “Bye.”
Edward rushed to the emergency room and met up with his mom and his sister was in the room being attended to.
“Where is Ariana?” asked Edward.
“She’s being checked by the doctor and they’re going to give her a shot,” said Edward’s mom Consuela.
“She’s going to be okay right?” asked Edward.
“Yeah she’s going to be fine,” answered Consuela.
Edward and his mom waited for half an hour until his sister Ariana was released from the hospital. She finally came out.
“Why did they take so long?” asked Consuela.
“They were making sure everything was okay and they were trying to figure out what caused my allergic reaction,” replied Ariana.
“Are you tired?” asked Edward. “It must have been a long day for you.”
“A little bit but I’m okay,” said Ariana. “I’ll be fine but thanks for worrying.”
They went home and Ariana got some sleep while Consuela cooked her favorite dish which was chicken and rice. She also made Ariana’s favorite dessert which was strawberry cake with Nutella. Edward keeps checking on Ariana to make sure she’s fine because he’s worried that something might happen to her.
“Come down to eat!” yelled Consuela. “The food is ready.”
“We’re coming,” replied Edward as he woke up Ariana.
“What did mom make to eat?” asked Ariana.
“I’m not sure,” answered Edward. “Why don’t we go find out.”
“Okay let’s go,” said Ariana as she went down the stairs and into the kitchen.
“I made your favorite food,” said her mom Consuela. “Why don’t you sit down and I’ll serve you.”
“Okay, thanks mom,” said Ariana. “Are you sure you don’t want help?”
“It’s okay Ariana, I’ll help her,” said Edward before his mom could answer.
“Thanks son I appreciate you trying to help,” said Consuela.
“You’re welcome,” said Edward. “I appreciate you being a good mom.”
“I invited your friend Aaron,” said Consuela. “I hope that’s okay with you.”
“Yeah it’s fine,” said Edward. “I was going to ask you if I could but I forgot.”
“He should be here in a little bit,” said Consuela as the doorbell rang. “Maybe that’s him.”
“I’ll get it,” said Edward as he walked towards the door. “It’s probably Aaron.”
Edward opened the door and there was a flower bouquet and chocolate covered strawberries on the porch. Edward wondered who they were from and who they were for.
“Ariana do you have a boyfriend” asked Edward.
“No, why?” asked Ariana.
“Somebody left flowers and chocolate covered strawberries on the front porch,” answered Edward.
“I wish I had a boyfriend to do those kind of things for me,” said Ariana.
“Me too,” said Consuela.
“Me three,” said Edward.
“Me four,” said Aaron as he walked through the front door.
“Really Edward you want a boyfriend?” asked Consuela. “You too Aaron?”
“Oops I didn’t mean for that to come out,” said Edward. “I was waiting for the right time to tell you guys this but I might as well tell you now I’m gay.”
“So am I,” said Aaron. 
“I’m glad you finally said it I’ve been wondering about you for quite a while,” said Consuela. “I just didn’t want to say anything because I wasn’t sure and didn’t want it to be awkward.”
“Really?” asked Edward.
“Yeah to be honest,” said Consuela. “I don’t know why.”
“It’s okay I don’t really try to hide it,” said Edward.
“Neither do I,” said Aaron.
“Well I guess now it’s out and you guys know,” said Edward. “Aaron do you know who left the bouquet and strawberries on the porch?”
“No I just got here about ten minutes ago.” answered Aaron.
“Oh did you see anybody driving away?” asked Edward.
“Nope,” answered Aaron. “Are we going to the studio tomorrow?”
“Uhmm maybe I’ll let you know,” said Edward. “Right now I’m starving let’s eat.”
“I’ll serve you guys,” said Consuela. “Edward can you set the table?”
“Sure mom,” answered Edward as he got the cups and utensils.
Edward set the table and Consuela served the food.
“Before we eat we should pray,” said Consuela.
They prayed and then they ate their dinner and talked for a little bit.
“How was it?” asked Consuela.
“It was great,” said Ariana.
“Yeah, delicious,” said Edward.
“It was so good,” said Aaron.
“I’m glad you all liked it,” said Consuela. “Are you ready for dessert?”
“There’s dessert?!” yelled Ariana with joy.
“Yes your favorite,” said Consuela. “Strawberry cake with nutella and I also put bananas on it because I know you love them.”
“Thanks mom,” said Ariana.
“It was my pleasure sweetie,” said Consuela.
They all finished their dessert and cleaned off the table. Consuela washed the dishes and Ariana helped her dry them. Edward and Aaron were talking in the living room.
“So how do you feel about me being gay?” asked Edward.
“It’s normal,” said Aaron. “How do you feel about me being gay?”
“I’m glad because I don’t have to hide it from you now,” answered Edward. “I thought if you knew we would stop being friends.”
“I thought the same thing,” said Aaron. “I have to tell you something.”
“Go for it,” said Edward.
“I”m the one that left the bouquet and chocolate covered strawberries on the porch,” said Aaron. “They’re for you.”
“Really, that’s so thoughtful of you,” said Edward. “Thanks.”
“I have a question for you now,” said Aaron. “It’s kind of important and a little bit awkward.”
“Shoot,” said Edward. “You can ask me anything.”
“Will you go out with me?” asked Aaron nervously.
“Of course I will,” answered Edward with a huge smile on his face.
There was a loud explosion outside. It sounded like guns and fireworks.