Because of You | Teen Ink

Because of You

November 11, 2014
By Riva Goldberg BRONZE, Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
Riva Goldberg BRONZE, Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Short strands of blond hair were all Bella could focus on. The way they laid in perfect zigzags while still looking effortless had her eyes glazed over with infatuation. His broad shoulders filled out his red and black flannel shirt perfectly, showing off his muscles. The voice of a teacher was mumbling in the background but she wasn’t paying any attention. She watched his strong hands run through his hair to grab the pencil that was placed behind his ear. 


*  *  *
Liam picked up his buff arm to run his hand through his hair as he walked towards a tall and skinny girl. Bella watched from across the lawn, butterflies swarming in her stomach, and eyes burning with jealously. The skinny girl’s legs were toned and tan, her hair perfectly straight and makeup that made her look like a doll. Bella let out a sigh of frustration, but she had a plan. 


Bella made a beeline for the alcohol, right next to where Liam and the supermodel happened to be standing. She picked up an ice-cold beer from the cooler. She cracked open the can and chugged it. She chucked the beer in the garbage and took another one. Before long, she was five cans in. Occasionally, out of the corner of her eye, she could see Liam glance over towards her. Before she was able to reach for her sixth beer, Bella’s best friend Lily came over to stop her.


“Bella, what the hell are you doing?” Lily questioned, slamming the top of the cooler shut.
“Just drinking some beer… want some?” Bella slurred, leaning her head on Lily’s shoulder.
“No, and you shouldn’t have anymore either. You’re going to make a fool out of yourself!”


“No I’m not!! OMG look at how hot Liam looks right now. Why is he talking to that girl, ugh! I’m going over there.” Bella stormed over to where Liam was standing. “Hi, I’m Bella. You’re hot.” Liam, an impressive six foot four, looked down at Bella. He exchanged glances with the supermodel and they both walked away. “No! Where are you going?! Don’t leave!” Lily grabbed Bella by the sleeve and pulled her off to the side of the yard.
“You’re making yourself look like an idiot. Stop.”


“No, I just want Liam to like meee!” whined Bella.


* * *
The buzz of the second period bell awakened Bella from her thoughts. Liam got up from his chair, zipped his backpack and left the room without making a commotion. Bella’s green eyes followed him out the door.


* * *


Four months had passed since that party over the summer, but Bella couldn’t stop the night from playing over and over again in her head. Why was I such an idiot in front of him? Why doesn’t he like me? Why won’t he talk to me? she kept asking herself.


It was now a month later and Liam began dating her best friend, Lily. She was the perfect girl according to Bella – long straight brunette hair, skinny, tall, funny, smart, social, and athletic. However Bella still couldn’t understand why Liam wouldn’t want to date her. Liam was all she ever wanted in a guy, but of course he had to pick her best friend to date. But, as always, Bella had something up her sleeve.


After school one day Bella ran over to the closest CVS and went straight to the hair color section. Her former best friend Lily had dark brunette hair so she figured Liam liked brunettes. She grabbed the first box of brown hair dye she saw, paid quickly and left the store in a rush. For the rest of the night Bella attempted to color her beautiful strawberry blond hair to dark brunette.


The morning rolled around and it was time for school. Bella slapped on a thick line of black eyeliner, four coats of mascara and a swipe of pink lipstick. She then went to the closet where she picked out a pair of jeans, a low cut white blouse and a pair of heeled boots. When she walked into school, everyone was staring; people whispering left and right.


It was time for math class and Bella made sure to get there extra early. Liam walked in with Lily by his side just as the bell buzzed. Lily’s mouth dropped as she rounded the corner to see Bella’s new look. Liam glanced over with a puzzled expression and took his seat. Even though Bella was no longer friends with Lily, she still walked over to Bella to ask her about her newest change.


“Woah Bella. That’s a bold choice.”


“I know.” she answered coldly.


* * *


The graduation processional music began and Bella watched her brother walk down the aisle. Ironically, Liam was sitting to her side, watching his sister graduate. He turned to face Bella and her stomach immediately dropped. OMG! He’s talking to me! This is it! she thought.


“You’ve really changed this year, Bella.” As soon as the words left his mouth he regretted them, not knowing if it conveyed the message he wanted them to. Change doesn’t really describe what had happened to Bella this year. She had completely altered her life in a way that just didn’t make sense. She started to drink, she changed her hair color, she got skinnier and she joined three different sports teams. Liam thought to himself, Why? What made her do all this? She was much better the way she was a year ago – a funny, unique and pretty girl. “Why?” he asked.


“It was all because of you.”