The Box | Teen Ink

The Box

September 29, 2014
By Anonymous

     The pounding of the rain on the windows filled my ears. With my mind racing, I could barely hear what she was saying until I heard, “He said you were the only person he ever grew close to. He wanted me to give these to you.” She handed me a cardboard box. My mind stopped as I held the box. Everything went silent. I could not hear the rain anymore. All I could hear was my heart pounding. Then the pounding of the rain returned.
    

     “Perfect.” I sighed to myself as it started to rain cats and dogs outside. I was already late for my friend’s party. I watched as people ran into their cars while holding umbrellas or their bags over their heads to avoid the rain. I would not have minded the rain, but I was all dressed up to go out to dinner. Heels are not exactly the best running shoes.
     “Allow me.” A stranger said as he popped open his umbrella. Like superman, he saved me…well my dress and hair. We jogged to my car and I quickly got in. That was when I got a good look at his face. He was handsome, with his bright blue eyes and reddish brown hair. 
     “Thank you so much, sir.” I said about ready to start my car and leave.
    “It was all my pleasure. Not everyday you get the excuse to talk to a pretty lady.” He smiled. He looked like he could be an actor for a tooth-paste commercial his teeth were so white and straight. Oh my.
    “Well thanks again. I am actually late!” I grabbed my door handle about to close the door.
    “I never said that this was free.” He quickly said.
    “Excuse me?” My eyes opened wide.
    “I save you from the rain. So it wouldn’t hurt to,” he paused, “I don’t know repay me in some way?”
     I could not believe what I was hearing at this point. “You want money?”
    “No, no, no. How about…your number?” He smiled.
   “Do you do this a lot? Pick up girls by holding umbrellas for them?” I frowned.
   “I wish.” He said with sarcasm obviously filling his voice.
  “Um, ok.” I shrugged. I really needed to go so what was the harm in giving this random guy. Right? I quickly put my number into his phone and once that was done I closed my door and drove away very confused.

    

     I was too scared to look in the box. During the drive home, my thoughts were filled with, “What could he have possibly given me?” and “Me? Why?” It had been over ten years since I had last seen Michael. I just wanted to forget, so I put the box away. That did not work. The whole day I was in a different world. All I could think about was him and what was in the box. 
    

      It was the end of the day and I decided to open it. I did not want it to drive me crazy for the rest of my life. Pulling it down from the shelf, I accidentally dropped it and one thing fell out. I looked into the box and saw that there was nothing left in it. I remembered there being more things in the box? I picked up what had fallen on the ground. It was a letter. Slowly opening it, I prepared myself.
    

      Dear Mikayla,
           If you’re reading this, then I have passed away. I did not want to burden you with my illness when we hadn’t spoken in over ten years. I hope you are well. I will never forget you. I will never forget how much I loved you and how many memories we had together. You were one of the best things that happened to me. I can still remember the first time I saw you standing there in the rain and the face you made when I asked for payment. I still think of you and always will. I miss you, beautiful.
Sincerely,
Michael

PS. I cheated on you.


The author's comments:

I just get random ideas and start writing them and hope people like them!