Asking of Prom | Teen Ink

Asking of Prom

October 12, 2014
By squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio
squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio
11 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is never easy but the smart ones find ways to make it easier and strong ones keep moving forward.


Walking home was a normal, day to day thing but someone actually wanting to walk home with me, was something new. As i walked, Amy Richards talked away about Prom. Amy Richards has been my neighbor our entire lives and she has never wanted to or has walked home with me. She has never had a willing conversation with me as well but I guess there is a first time for everything, right? She reminds me of one those teenage girls you see on television or read about in books, the ones that never talk to the outcasts even if their lives depended on it. She is a rude person who doesnt really care for anyone but herself, and even when it comes to her, its only about her looks. She could be dying and not care as long as her hair wasn't frizzy or makeup runny. I guess Hell must have froze over because here she is talking to me of all people, Carly Anthony. Amy didn't notice I wasn't paying any attention to her upcoming prom details, I didnt care, not like I was going. We were infront of my house when she asked to come in. She was just full of surprises today. I let her in and she followed me to my room. "So, prom, are you going with anyone?" she asked picking up a tube of lip gloss from my nightstand. Without looking at her I replied "I'm not going at all." She didnt seem surprised, she had a mischevious look on her face, though. "I know someone who wants to go with you" she said, setting the lip gloss back down. I tried not to look surprised but it was written all over my face. "You want to know, don't you?" I could feel my cheeks get red. "You do!" she squeeled. "Are you going to tell me or what?" I asked, trying to sound like I didnt care. "Ash Roberts, that new guy; who is into all things dark. Guess that's why he is into you" she said, picking up a book. "I am not dark" i replied. She rolled her eyes, "oh please, you're always alone, you never talk to anyone, all your clothes are dark, you read and write depressing things, you never smile and have you looked in the mirror? You look like one of those punk models." Ok, so she was right; but that doesn't tell me why Ash Roberts would be into me. "So are into him?" Amy asked, walking over to me. "I don't even know him" i replied. She looked confused, which was normal for her. "So what, do you think he is hot or not?" she asked, sitting on my bed. He was, but i wasnt going to tell her that. "There is more to people than looks." i told her. "Yea, but thats the first thing people notice" she answered, proudly; as she twirled her hair. "Here's his number, I told him I'd give it to you. Well, see ya later." she said hopping off my bed, and walking out the door; leaving his number on my pillow like it was a piece of chocolate on a hotel pillow. I was tempted to run over and grab it; dignity i thought to myself, have some dignity. I was by myself though, so did it really matter? I grabbed the number on my pillow and decided to call it to see if it really was Ash Roberts number. It rang twice, and was answered. "Hello, this is Ash" was the first thing i heard, i was silent for a moment, stunned about the thought of having his number. "Hey, this is um Carly. Amy gave me your number" i finally said. "Oh, hey. Guess she told you about prom, huh?" he asked. "She talked alot about prom, it's Amy remember?" he laughed, he actually laughed at what I said; "that is true. I meant did she tell you, i was planning on asking you to prom?" he asked, in a casual but almost nervous sounding tone. "I think she mentioned that" I replied, trying to sound as normal as possibly, but really just sounding stupid. "Well, maybe you should look out your window and give me an answer" he said, almost sounding proud of himself for doing something. I walked to my window and couldnt believe what i saw. He was there, with his friends who had 'PROM?" on their shirts as he held a black rose. "Oh my god" i said, totally forgetting that I was still on the phone with him. He climbed the tree outside my window and now the only thing between us, was my closed window. He softly knocked and I opened it; he held out the black rose and said "So what do you say?" I took the rose and laughed, "Yes" i answered. I looked at the rose in my hands and then up at him. He looked nice in black pre-ripped jeans, his red shirt and black leather jacket, but i didnt tell him that. His brunette hair was somewhat spiked with his bangs still falling over his face, slightly covering one of his green eyes. "She said YES!" he yelled to friends; who gave him a thumbs up and started to leave. "So may I come in or do I have to hang out in the tree?" he asked. I laughed and let him in. We hung out for hours and I actually had fun. He stayed for dinner and my parents actually seemed to like him. I had already started too. I walked him to the door before he left. He tucked a strand of my black hair behind my ear, looked into my blue eyes; which he said a number of times that night were beautiful. Put his hand on the side of my face and kissed me. I felt like I was holding my breath, I didnt want it to end. It did and he said "Good night." He watched me as he got in his car, I watched as he drove away still not believeing I had a prom date.


The author's comments:

To some people the most important thing about Prom, is how you are asked.