Dark Angel | Teen Ink

Dark Angel

By YamiTenshi GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
YamiTenshi GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

A story writes itself, you just start it.

I smiled to myself in the mirror.  For once in my life I actually look beautiful.  My hair’s shiny and in a neat bun, my makeup looks natural, my light blue dress is as bright as the clear skies on a sunny day, and it only took four painstaking hours.
“Today’s the day!” I said to myself and bounded down the steps happily. “I’m going to tell him how I feel!  Oh-“
“Tell who Jamie?”
Darn, didn’t know Mom was up yet.
“Nobody Mom,” I hissed and she rolled her eyes.
“Well you look nice dear.”
“You always say that,” I replied and folded my arms.
Mom just shook her head then narrowed her eyes at me.
“Are you wearing your necklace?  If people found out that you’re actually a-“
“Trust me!” I said, cutting her off, “they won’t know about me.”
She sighed and turned her attention back to the food cooking on the stove for Dad and my sleeping toddler brother.
“Alright, have a good day at school.”
I simply smiled in return and raced out the door.

The sound of the bell snapped me back to my amazingly boring science class.  Why didn’t they just put “nap time” on our schedules instead of “Earth Sciences”?  The teacher was so busy talking about stalactites, stalagmites, and a bunch of other boring minerals that half the class was either sleeping or drowning out his words.  His voice sounds like he’s reading you a bed time story, from a dictionary if that’s even possible, but when that bell rings we’re all dying to get out the door and away from his rocks.
“Alright class, we’ll continue this conversation tomorrow.  Class dismissed.”
As I walked through the halls, everyone was talking about their weekend plans.  I, on the other hand, have plans of my own.  I must tell the most perfect guy how I feel.  I left a note in his locker telling him to meet me outside near the garden in the front of the school, and described what I would be wearing in great detail.  I just hoped he didn’t mistake me for someone else, then again I didn’t see any other girl wearing such a grand dress like mine.  When I arrived at the garden, there he was, with another girl.  Wait, what?!  No!  That’s supposed to be me!  When he turned around and saw me, he waved but tears stung my eyes.  Without even looking back at the jerk, I just ran home in tears.

“Jamie!” Mom said and knocked on my door.  “Jamie please just come down to dinner!”
“No!” I shouted, “How can I eat with a broken heart?”
“Jamie please,” she begged while I searched through my closet for my staff.
When I finally found it, it just appeared to be a boring black staff, but when I twisted it, a scythe blade would appear from the smooth wood.  With a smile, I opened the window and stretched out my black wings.  The time has come for my revenge as a dark angel.